Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Zanussi Washing machine, Jet System 1200, model FJ1296,

I have a Zanussi Washing machine, Jet System 1200, model FJ1296, purchased in 1996. I am replacing the door seal but having great difficulty in getting the new seal located, Is it necessary to remove the weight in order to refit the seal? If so how do I remove the front panel which seems to be integral with the sides?
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Have you got both the metal bands off as well?

Itll take me a few minutes to type an ansewer, so please bear with me

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rob,

The old seal is off. There is one metal spring band and one plastic ratchet type band.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Great, thanks

This is a frustrating job, at best !!

You don't take the weight off, that's the good news

Turn off the power and remove lid

Lean machine back against a wall so the drum moves away from the front part of the cabinet

Run some washing up liquid around the groove in the seal, that fits onto the tub. NOT TOO MUCH, just enough to give you some “slip”

Start at the 12 o'clock position, work clockwise

Once you get to the part where you cant go any further, you need someone else to hold it at the 12 o'clock position. You then have two hands to continue getting it on, all the way around

Its possible to do this single handed, but only with hours of practice. Much easier with a friend

Once its on, replace the drum band and then the cabinet band

Job done

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good news about the weights, but I am finding it very difficult even to start the replacing of the seal, let alone progress all the way around.

Can you give advice on what groove in the seal fits what part of the tub?

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

If you look at the tub, youll see the lip the seal fits onto.

As for the seal, if its a genuine seal, theres only one slot that the tub sits in

Have a look at the old seal. You should be able to see where the tub fitted on there, just marry it up to the new one

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Rob. I'll try again. I may need to come back to you later.

Richard.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Richard

The best advice right now, walk away !!

Have a cup of tea and watch some TV

Truly !!
Go back to it less frusrated.

It is not an easy task, but it will go back, honest !!

Please dont forget to rate as this is the only way I get credit for helping you with this.
This does NOT close your question, and you can still come back to me

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rob, Good advice but….

As far as I can see the groove in the seal has to fit over and behind the rim of the casing holding the weights. I have tried but this appears to be impossible without removing the casing, fitting the seal and replacing the whole thing. By the way I haven't got a second pair of hands!

I am therefore back to my first question; how do I remove the front of the machine? It doesn't look very easy as front and sides seem to be all one piece.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Richard

You may not like this, but its the truth, so please dont shoot me, im only the messenger

The front does not come off

If you wanted to do it the way you suggest, both drums have to come out of the cabinet.

If you look along the sides of the cabinet, are there two seams either side?
Or is the side of the cabinet in one piece?

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rob, I've put away my pistol.

Yes there is a seam on each side of the cabinet. Does that make it any easier (says he hopefully)!

Richard.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Richard

lol

OK, if you really want to (though its not the recommended way), you can remove the front half of the cabinet.

From the top, there are two bolts either side holding the front half. Undo these.
Down low on the outside are plastic covers, take these off and undo the bolts .
You have to disconect the soap box drawer and some more screws, sorry Im getting a bit vague as its been a while since I had to take the front off.

Basically you need to keep undoing stuff, so that the whole front half of the cabinet comes off.
You will then have more access to it.

I cant recomend this as its such a lot of work, but if you cantdo it the other way..............

Please dont forget to rate, otherwise I dont get credit for helping you today

Rob