Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I have a Miele ESW 50x0-29 built-in food warming drawer. Until

Customer Question

I have a Miele ESW 50x0-29 built-in food warming drawer. Until recently the drawer opened and closed without any problem.Now it slides towards closure but stops about 1.5cm from full closure.
I cannot easily check to see if there is something behind it stopping closure. Can you advise what to do?
Ron Bryant
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron,
usually this is something that has gotten in the way of the track guide.
It could be a part of the guide as well.
I can also provide the best place to get a replacement set, easy to change as well;-)
Please look carefully as you open the track and make sure the issue isnt behind on the back part of the track.Please don’t forget to rate my service before closing this page,
then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost;-)
Thank you Ron and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As i said, the drawer slides smoothly and closes the drawer up to the last 1.5cm which indicates that the track is ok.

I was hoping you would describe how to access the back of the drawer to see if anything is stopping it close completely. What screws released what etc.

Regards, Ron

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron,
when you pull open the draw almost all the way there is a spring clip on e per side to release the draw from the inner guide, a good light source is needed to see this.
Let me know how it goes, usually it is a failing draw guide.
But also, does it feel stuck on one side more that the other when closing the draw?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No luck yet. You said ' there is a spring clip on e per side', what does that mean?

The tracks are beneath the metal drawer, one each side. I have looked and felt for a clip but have not found one. Is it right at the back when the drawer is fully open? On the side of the track or on the bottom. Is it clearly visible in good light? Can you release it by hand or do you need a tool?

Can you please be very specific. Maybe send a picture if necessary.

By the way it runs smoothly, does not stick on any side, just will not close completely and therefore does not heat up

Regards,

Ron

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi it could be the switch that has gotten stuck as well.
What I was talking about is on the track guide rails your looking for a small clip one per side that when pressed will allow you to pull the draw completely out. Please let me know if you can locate them.
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I have not replied earlier but I had to go out.

I think I can identify the small clips, but they do not project any length to be pressed in. Do yo need a special tool? They do not move with fingers alone.

What do you advise?

These so called clips are in the exposed part of the track when the drawer is fully pulled out, looking from beneath the drawer. They are about 1.5 inches from the end of the track. Are they the right ones?

Please try and answer all my questions to make it easier to locate and activate them.

By the way, the electrical switch does light up the indicators, but I cannot tell if it warms up because it is not active until the drawer is closed.

Regards,

Ron

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron it sounds like you may have found the clips.
But the reason it wont turn on is most likely that since the draw isn't closing the switch isn't telling the main board that the draw is closed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You still haven't told me how to compress the clips to release the Drawer so that I can see if anything is stopping it closing and thus eliminate that possibility as the cause.

Regarding the switch, the door has to close to activate the switch, so we need to be able to close the drawer.

Regards,

Ron

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron, simply press in the clips towards the center.
I cant see it so you need to be my eyes on this.
We cant be sure whats wrong until the draw is out and someone can see the inside;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried using my fingers without success, that is why i asked you, do I need a tool? These clips only project about 1mm, so are we talking about the same thing? How far are the clips projecting on your appliance?

Ron

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ron I usually use a tiny blade screwdriver for this, but some of them had little plastic latches that you can reach then by reaching around inside.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Michael, I cannot give you a good rating. After six emails you finally tell me i need a small screw driver and it still does not work.

I am exhausted with trying and repeatedly having to pose the question, sometimes with no answers.

Why you could not have given me a full description of the tracks and clip right at the start, I do not know. I advise this in future.

Thanks for trying, but it was just not good enough

Regards, Ron

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I wish to withdraw from the website and have my money refunded
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.

Hi .there are two nuts as you open the draw low down on each side,inside just the other side of the draw front. These can be seen on page 29 of the installation manual . This can be found here.

http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/miele/esw_4801_1.html?p=29. Copy and paste this into your browser. Once these nuts are out the draw should pull up and out

.