canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My Bosch Freezer Logixx (GSU34421) has started to lose temperature

My Bosch Freezer Logixx (GSU34421) has started to lose temperature and overnight can drop to -9 from -18C. I have cleared the drain of ice and made sure the vents are clear and the radiator on the back is clean. This has happened about 3 times and usually rights itself but this time it is more of a problem. If I put it on Super Freeze it will go back to -18C but the next day has dropped to -9C. The freezer is 12 years old, has it reached the end of its life or am I missing something?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Was there any ice or frost on the lines on the back of the freezer?

canuck the pro :

If you remove the back of the freezer and inspect the copper Freon lines is there any frost on them or do you see any evidence of oily substance on the lines?

canuck the pro :

If you do not want to remove the back then if you can move the freezer and look for any very small oil spots on the floor that would be helpful also. If you see any of these things that is an indication that the coolant has a very slow leak. It can be fixed but is not economical. That would be, as you put it, the end.

Customer:

Hi Mike,

Customer:

Hi Mike, no sign of frost or oil on tubes or underneath??

canuck the pro :

Very good. The next thing is to completely defrost the freezer. You would need to empty it and unplug it and leave the door open for at least 24 hours then wipe the inside clean and be sure there is no dust buildup on the coils. Wipe them too if there is dust with a dry cloth. This should right everything if there is any life left in it.