canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have 3 Panasonic DMR that have failed showing the U88 code. Are

Customer Question

I have 3 Panasonic DMR that have failed showing the U88 code.
Are they repairable and at what estimated cost ?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear that.
May I have the full model# ***** how old the unit is?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. DMR EX75 6 years old failed 3 years ago

2. DMR EX78 3 years old failed 1 year ago

3. DMR EX68 £ years old failed 2 months ago

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi I am sorry to hear that.What that means is the unit isnt clearing temporary memory. these would need a circuit board to fix them.

The basic cost is about $ 80.00 per unit you have this completed

Thank you Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Response from an American with price quoted in dollars that bears no resemblance to the UK market.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Often this is quite an easy fix. Clean the spindle rubber, what the bottom side of the discs sits on, with a q-tip wet with alcohol. Also clean the laser eye with a CD cleaning disc. Both should correct the issue. IF this does not solve the issue then enter service mode to see exactly what may be at issue. To get into Service Mode, first put the machine in STANDBY mode, then press the buttons ChUp OPEN/CLOSE and REC all at the same time on the front panel (Ch Up is hidden inside the AV3 input flap). Eventually the front panel display will show "SERV" (after its "HELLO" messages). Anyway, pressing [6] then [5] on the Remote Control tells me that I have an Error Code of "04" which is a Digital PCB or Communication Error (whereas an Error code of "02" means a "Defect of RAM drive"). (To exit from Service Mode, press [0] then [0] which should get you back to "SERV" and then POWER-OFF the machine). If all is well after the cleaning then let me know with a positive rating. I am also ok with a little bit of praise in your comments if you like. If it does not solve the issue then we must forego the rating and the praise and let me know what the results of the service mode display is. We will go from there. (The American guy is ok.....his math, not so much!)

Honestly no matter the currency the cost of the repair is likely only going to be worth it if you do the repair yourself. It could be a cleaning or it may be a replacement of the drive and assembly. If you are quite handy it is not a terribly difficult task. I would say that if you are quite handy with electronics that on a scale of 1-10 the difficulty would be about a 6.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?