Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

18 month old(fitted/commissioned)ferolli combi with only 6

18 month old(fitted/commissioned)ferolli combi with only 6 months use to date. attempted normal running in either CH or DHW always gives fault a6, however in test mode it fires up on 1st or 2nd try and then runs perfectly throughout testing. i have been told to change gas valve, but I think much more likely that PCB has gone faulty... I have also noticed CH refuses to fire up together with DHW, and vica versa. also once fired the flame cycles hi/lo with no problem while pulling bath of hot water. LogiC suggests its the start-up cycle that has the fault, and that must be the PCB's department.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . that is not old enough to develop PCB faults. How long is the gaurantee. Even if only 12 months I would get ferroli to come out.

Plumberpro :

What model is it?

Plumberpro :

Also , what size is the gas pipe?

Customer:

27he

Customer:

22mm throughout length

Plumberpro :

Is it a long run?

Customer:

12 months, but obviously gone over

Customer:

yes, with 4 elbows

Customer:

7 metres in total.

Plumberpro :

Just looking at a6. Check the syphon isn't blocked /fitted right. I don't know what the install is like, but check flue is fitted right, is joints arnt leaking and correctly fitted . next thing it could be is the gas . a6. Not detecting flame / the gas might not have been commissioned properly during initial set up.

Customer:

gas meter was repositioned 6 months ago professionally, original run was 1 metre in length.

Plumberpro :

I wonder if some debris got into the gas pipe. The working pressure needs to be checked with a gauge.

Customer:

do you think boiler needs to be completely re-set up?? it has hardly been in use since that meter moving date.

Plumberpro :

Might be worth checking by he gas valve/ filter

Customer:

?? retype last line please

Plumberpro :

Might be worth checking the gas valve filter, but really think that the whole gas needs testing

Customer:

? check pressure by the gas valve/filter, okay i get that, the gas man did say pressure was down slightly, because of the length of pipe.

Plumberpro :

Ok . well putting a gauge on the boiler gas valve and running the boiler would confirm if the pipe is undersized. If the worst comes to the worst you may have to use 28mm pipe half way between Meter and the boiler..

Customer:

thanks, ***** ***** get the gas fitter in to test/reset and he can also issue new certufcate before property is rented. i get it that 28mm pipe might be needed to correct any lack of pressure in delivery pipe during running conditions, especially of the gas hob is also in use.

Plumberpro :

Ok . all the best

Customer:

thanks again, most helpful chat.

Plumberpro :

Your welcome , Toby