canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

three control knob n80 fridge. does not cool on 12 v dc has

Customer Question

three control knob n80 fridge. does not cool on 12 v dc has new heating element. Works O.K on mains and gas. New thermostat switch fitted.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Had it cooled well previously on 12v? The 12v is to maintain the coolness so if you cool it well on gas first does the 12v maintain the cold?

Customer:

the heater element does not get hot even when it has cooled on mains or gas.

canuck the pro :

Do you have a mult-meter? Are you able to test for voltage to the element and continuity in the element?

Customer:

yes there is continuity in the element

canuck the pro :

And neither element works? There are two correct? One for 240v and one for 12v? Both elements test good? How about voltage to both?

canuck the pro :

If you run it on gas for at least 3 or 4 hours do you have the same result?

Customer:

I will run over night and check in the morning

Customer:

I find there is a low voltage on the 12v element

canuck the pro :

I have a feeling there may be nothing wrong at all. If the fridge never gets to temperature then the element will not turn on. Once you get the fridge to meet temperature through the gas I have a feeling the electrics will maintain cooling like it should.

Customer:

I will try again on gas then check again .Thanks for your help if I still have a problem I will contact you again.

You are very welcome. I will be here for any further inquiries if all is not well tomorrow. You have rated my service and I thank you for that. I will still always respond. Mike.