Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My mother has defrosted her Bosch KGS 3001 fridge/freezer,

My mother has defrosted her Bosch KGS 3001 fridge/freezer, but now there is no longer a green light. The yellow light, indicating fast freezing, is lit, but also the red light is lit. The freezer does not apparently seem to be getting very cold. The fridge appears to be working all right, I'm informed.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If you feel the compressor at the back of the appliance is it hot to touch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry,

My mother is 120 miles away from me, is aged 91 and is more or less confined to her chair in the lounge. I don't have anyone available to call on who would be able to pull the fridge freezer out in order to be able to feel the compressor.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries thats fine.

How long has it been running for since it was turned on after the defrost. Is it more then 4 hours ago?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The freezer was defrosted yesterday morning.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok in this caseim afraid its possibley a system fault. As if the fridge is working but the freezer isnt as cold then its down the compressor not pumping the gas around the system correctly.
Its either a weak compressor or theres a blockage so the pressure isnt correct thats why the freezer isnt as cold as it should be.

For either of these you would need to get a fridge engineer in as this isnt a diy fix. But you may find its not worth it on this appliance.
As its quite old now and most of the parts are obsolete. The compressor wont be a problem getting but its not going to be a cheap fix. A new compressor fitted is about £300 roughly. And a regas if its a blockage is about £140. So given them prices its not really worth fixing im afraid.

As to the green light not comming on. This will only come on when the red one goes off but if its not getting down to the correct temperture then the red light will stay on to worn you.

Sorry this isnt good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.