George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We have a large upright Hotpoint Freezer Future FZS 175 - never

We have a large upright Hotpoint Freezer Future FZS 175 - never any problems but it has just started to bleep continuously and we cannot see anything wrong.
Does this mean it has stopped working?
***** *****
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 3 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with answers to your problem.

Please be patient whilst awaiting answers.. I will return.

George-Allsorts :

The bleeping means that your appliance is currently operating outside of its set temperature limits... It is a warning to you to let you know that something is wrong

George-Allsorts :

Can you hear the compressor/motor running at the rear of the appliance

Customer:

There's a kind of quiet purring.

George-Allsorts :

Do you know the current temperature inside the appliance?

Customer:

No - it still feels pretty cold

George-Allsorts :

Can you check the door... open it and close it again to see if the alarm goes off.. It could be the door alarm that you are hearing if your particular appliance has one

Customer:

I tried and it doesn't go off - the door seal seems pretty tight

George-Allsorts :

Can you put your ear around to the rear of the appliance and listen to hear if there is a hissing sound or a gurgling sound alike to running water

Customer:

No hissing or gurgling - and I can't now hear the purring either.

George-Allsorts :

please wait until the motor restarts and then listen....

George-Allsorts :

Don't worry, I will stay with you as long as it takes to solve your problem

Customer:

Not started yet - will keep popping back until I hear it

George-Allsorts :

Whilst you are waiting for the compressor to restart, can you open the freezer door to ascertain the condition of the lovres at the top of the freezer..

George-Allsorts :

You need to be checking for ice, and whether or not the fan is operating

Customer:

Louvres are ice-free and no noise of a fan. Also I have tried listening at the back several times now and it's completely silent - beginning to wonder whether I really did hear it purring the first time!

George-Allsorts :

OK, I will need to contact Hotpoint for the diagram for your appliance as my system tells me that you have two fans on your appliance... I will contact you back as soon as I have the information for you. This will probably be tomorrow now.

George-Allsorts :

I'll bid you good evening and will chat to you tomorrow

Customer:

Customer:

Will join again tomorrow - though I'm out 9-11.30am.

Customer:

m

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. I will be around at some point ... I'll chat with you then

Customer:

Customer:

The good thing this morning seems to be that everything in the freezer is solidly frozen although the beeper is still going - I was expecting to have to cope with thawing food when I came down - so looks as though it may be a fault with the beeper rather than the freezing mechanism. Still silent so far as I can tell round the back.

George-Allsorts :

Good morning Margaret, I realised when I got up this morning that it is a Saturday... I will try contact Hotpoint today but, we may have to wait until Monday for the right department... Either way, can I ask

George-Allsorts :

How much food is in the freezer? If it is not a lot, it may be worth turning off the freezer to defrost any ice that may be restricting the fans ...

Customer:

Good morning George - and where I am it's Sunday! There's quite a lot in there as I am off on holiday Tuesday and was building up stocks for everyone else in the house while I'm away. Nothing very valuable though. I'd cleared a small fridge and turned the temperature down ready to decant at least some of it if necesssary this morning. But since I'm busy finishing off work stuff before I go, if there's not much risk to food, I'd prefer to cope with it when I get back in 10 day's time. What would the effect of a broken fan be?

George-Allsorts :

oops... yes, it is Sunday here too... Just shows you doesn't it... I work all week so don't even know what day it is.

George-Allsorts :

The effect would be more than likely only a reduction in negative temperature... The fans will not receive any damage so long as they are not already defective. When you return home you can again decant into an alternative storage facility and switch off.. thereby allowing the freezer to defrost any ice in an attempt to check any fans operational status.

Customer:

Thanks - so I'll leave it for now. This has been a really helpful conversation - thank you very much.

Customer:

margaret