Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi, I have a Zanussi ZRB23200XA frost free fridge freezer.

Customer Question

I have a Zanussi ZRB23200XA frost free fridge freezer. There seems be an issue whereby the fridge compartment is warm, whereas the freezer compartment is starting to build up ice regardless of which setting the air flow slider is set to. I suspect a problem with the cooling fan, although any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Jon
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If you open the freezer door do you see any ice or frost around the front of the freezer drawers?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I said in my 'question' ice is starting build up in the freezer (even though it's supposed to be frost free) so yes I do see ice on the front of the drawers and the back of the door. I believe a fan is used to circulate air to both reduce frost build up and cool the fridge compartment, but a second opinion on my diagnosis of this being faulty before purchasing a replacement/arranging repairs would be appreciated.
thanks
Jon
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok what you will find is the air vent inside the freezer is blocked so it stops the air flow and this creates the frost around the door and drawers.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel.
You will see the evaporator. If this is blocked up with ice you need to defrost it with a hairdryer.

Then at the bottom of the evaporator on the left hand side is the vent, Remove the ice from in there.

Then retry it and see how it goes from there. This is a very common problem on these as what it is the defrost timer at the back is a 12 hour timer with 10 minute defrost. What Zanussi found is this isnt long enough for the defrost so the ice blocked the vents. So the timer was replaced to 8 hour timer with 20 minute deforst and this cured it.

So after the defost see how it goes but if it happens again then it will need the new defrost timer kit.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good work Daniel! That seems to have done the trick! :)
Thanks for your help
Jon
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jon

Glad to hear its sorted and thanks for letting me know.