canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

neff dishwasher is making a noise like a pump struggling ....

neff dishwasher is making a noise like a pump struggling .... noticed mid cycle. was able to drain stopping the program. would appear that water is coming in but not in any great force so washer arms are not spinning.
have checked washer arms and and all the filters. the only other note is a spoon was raised in the cutlery holder which was obstructing the upper arm
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you remove the spray arms you can clean the spray holes out but the pump problem may be that there is something blocking the drain or pump. The first thing to do is to disconnect the drain under the sink for the dishwasher and see if anything is blocking the drain there. When the dishwasher drains does any water come up in the sink?

Customer:

no water backs up and would appear to be draining. is there a pump to push the water in to the dishwasher?

canuck the pro :

There is a water valve that is opened and closed with the electrics and the water pressure but not a pump on the inlet. If the inlet water pressure seems quite weak then it could be a blockage in the spray arms. Have you been able to remove the spray arms and clean them?

canuck the pro :

It very well could be that the water valve is failing but usually it is just a blockage or scale buildup in the spray arms.

canuck the pro :

One way to clean them is to remove them and rinse them off in the sink and poke the spray holes out with a toothpick. If you want to clean them perfectly soak them in water and vinegar for a couple hours. That will break up any scale buildup in the spray arms.

Customer:

the spray arms are running freely. we are an area of soft water so no lime bulid up. i have removed and checked the lower filters and they are clear

Customer:

i have even taken off a little cover to the left over what I assume is part of the pump in the base of the machine and checked the 'impellor', if that is what it is - and that is running freely

canuck the pro :

If there is not enough force coming into the machine to spin the spray arms and you are sure there is no scale buildup in the sprayer arms then there is a blockage in the water valve or the water valve is not opening all the way because it is failing. It is one of the easier parts to replace. Typing directions now.

canuck the pro :

Turn the water and power off. Remove the bottom kickplate on the front. Have some rags ready and disconnect the water from the valve. The valve is what the water line is connected to. Remove the mounting screws and pull the valve out a little and you will be able to disconnect the wires and the hose is connected to it with a clamp. Loosen the hose clamp and pull the water valve out of the hose.

Customer:

is this UNDER the machine or will I need to pull it out? it is a fully integrated machine

canuck the pro :

Yes. Sorry for the delay. I didn't see the response right away. No need to pull the machine out the plate is on the very bottom on the front and the water valve is accessible from there.

Customer:

there isnt any access in the integrated model

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber