canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

The alarm on my Siemens fridge freezer went off, switched it

The alarm on my Siemens fridge freezer went off, switched it off and now none of the lights work - there's just a buzzing noise. It's 17 years old.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is the humming noise coming from the compressor?

Customer:

No, ithe buzzing noise is when I try and switch the appliance back on.

canuck the pro :

Does the noise come from the back or the inside?

Customer:

The front - from the panel with the temperature lights and alarm.

canuck the pro :

The control board behind that sounds like it has failed. Were you having any issues before that?

Customer:

When the alarm went off before (a long time ago), it was the freezer so I pressed "super" and left it to go down to its usual -18 temperature, then pressed "eco" so it would stay at that temperature. This time, I wasn't at home when the alarm went off and by the time I saw it, the temperature lights were flashing but not their usual bright green colour and everything had defrosted.

Customer:

Is it worth repairing the control board on a fridge that's 17 years old? They don't make them any more with the great storage space this one has.

canuck the pro :

Do you see any ice buildup around the vent in the freezer? It may be the board but let's chat a little bit more to find out. It may be very repairable or it may not. It will also depend on what you can do on your own since the cost of doing it yourself increases the benefit of fixing it.

Customer:

No ice build-up.

canuck the pro :

Does the compressor in the back seem really hot?

Customer:

Can't really reach it as the unit is up against the wall but, from putting my hand round the back, everything feels cool.

canuck the pro :

The fridge is no longer cooling but you still have the humming from behind the controls?

Customer:

The fridge isn't cooling and the freezer isn't freezing. The buzzing noise is when I switch the fridge back on as I switched it off when I got home and saw all the lights flashing and that everything that defrosted.

Customer:

Yes, the humming is behind the controls.

canuck the pro :

Ok well it does sound like the control board has been damaged by a power surge. If you remove the board you may find a capacitor on the board that is bulging. If you can electronics solder then replacing a capacitor is a very inexpensive fix but it must be the same voltage as the one you are replacing. The numbers are on the side of the capacitor.

canuck the pro :

If you do not have experience with electronics soldering then inspect the board for evidence of damage. If you have experience testing voltages test the voltages on the board on the test points with your multi-meter.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** won't try to do that myself! Thank you for the advice - replacing the control panel should be cheaper than buying a new fridge-freezer.

canuck the pro :

To replace the board the easiest way to do that would be to bring the board, model number and serial number to a local appliance parts store and order the replacement from there. Sometimes you can also find repair services that will let you send the board for repair.

Customer:

I';; try that. Thanks again and I'll log out now.

Customer:

I mean I'll try that.

canuck the pro :

Yes it sure is. Of course finding a good reason to buy a new one can be fun too! They have so many bells and whistles these days!

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

But not the flexible storage space!