George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hi I have just replaced the brushes (and the drive belt) on

Customer Question

I have just replaced the brushes (and the drive belt) on a 10 year old Bosch Exxcel. I had problems re-making the connector but eventually got it working. Worked ok on empty spin cycle. Put it all back together and it washed ok but the spin cuts out on the first "wobble". It tries 3 or 4 times then gives up. Have I disturbed a "wobble" sensor. I only removed the back cover and the motor. It could still be a bad connection on the "plug and socket". To me a single use cheap and nasty connector. Is it time to buy a new one?
Barry
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello Barry, my name is George...

The old Bosch Maxx and Bosch Classix series, which are of the era that you are mentioning, were fabulously robust machines and gave very little trouble at all.

Replacing the brushes in the motor can cause you these sorts of problems if the brushes are placed in the wrong way around (ie. with the facing edge not lying on the comm); or sometimes when the spade-ends and/or wiring is burned and not making a good connection... This would also happen if the motor tacho was broken or faulty...

I would be pretty certain in saying that you have a motor issue and should re-check the work that you have done... Also, if you remove the plastic/metal cover at the rear end of the motor to check that there are no cracks in the Tacho..

Thereafter, if you are still having problems, it may be worth looking on the likes of ebay for a replacement motor.

JACUSTOMER-36vpz8ib- :

Hi George

JACUSTOMER-36vpz8ib- :

The brushes are definitely the right way round and it does appear to work when empty, right up to full speed. ]]which confused me. Another question. What does the Tacho look like. If its the bit that takes the connections from the socket to the motor windings, it "looks" ok but

George-Allsorts :

The Tacho has two wires on it and resides at the rear of the motor... when you remove the plastic/metal cover, you will see a magnet covered in a steel cage; that is the Tacho.

George-Allsorts :

If it is working up to full speed when empty, then the Tacho is ok

George-Allsorts :

I would suggest in that case it is just Out Of Balance

George-Allsorts :

Check the Tacho for fractures though... a fracture could cause this too

JACUSTOMER-36vpz8ib- :

Thanks George - I may have other problems with this machine. Its done its fair share with a large family and washing for a business. Tea towels and overalls. The rear bearing on the motor is noisy and the pump "judders" when starting up so the whole machine needs replacing. Any recommendations?

JACUSTOMER-36vpz8ib- :

The only thing replaced in 10 years was the door seal

George-Allsorts :

Best replacement machines in my mind are ISE, LG or again, Bosch

JACUSTOMER-36vpz8ib- :

If time travel were possible I would go back and buy another of these. Cheaper as well. Excluding the cost of time travel of course

George-Allsorts :

Don't discard the old machine if the bearings are still good.... Think about placing it on Findmyrecycler

George-Allsorts :

I repair every one that I find

JACUSTOMER-36vpz8ib- :

The rear motor bearing was noisy but was quieter with a drop of oil. I know its not allowed on sealed for life bearings!! The drum bearing is fine. I will try findmyrecycler although most suppliers will recycle (for a fee)

George-Allsorts :

Yes, but there is recycling by refurbishing, and then there is recycling by discarding it in the scrap... Most recyclers discard, theose on Findmyrecycler refurbish.

George-Allsorts :

Please remember to rate my assistance to you today... And if you need to come back to me for further help, just use the same link.

JACUSTOMER-36vpz8ib- :

Point taken - I will rate as excellent and thank you. I will give it one more go before giving up so may need your help again - Many thanks Barry

George-Allsorts :

No problem at all Barry.. always welcome to return with further questions.. Really glad you are going to give it another go.. May I also suggest, clean the grooved in comm on the motor gently so that the brushes get a proper connection and then run it on spin a few times to bed them in