canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My LG washing Machine F1443KD has developed a leak on drainage/spin.

My LG washing Machine F1443KD has developed a leak on drainage/spin. It is 4 years old. Not much leaking - about a cup full from left hand foot of machine under the drum door. What part could it be? How do I get in?! I have removed the top & nothing leaking up there. Looks like panel should come off beneath the drum door?? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you Nicky
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The part that is leaking is likely the part called the "bellows". It is a plastic drain piece that commonly fails on that machine. I believe I've seen a video online and if I can find it I'll post it soon.

Customer:

I have seen that video on line already. I agree it is likely that however my model of machine is different. My question is on my model how do I get to it to check? How/or can I remove the panel below the drum door?

Customer:

what does that mean you have entered this chat?!

canuck the pro :

You would remove the seal around the inside of the door and disconnect and remove the filter housing. Remove the soap dispenser drawer. Remove the screws there that hold the panel in place and move the panel assembly out of the way. Remove the screws that hold the front plate on. The screws are located (still typing it means that I may be typing out a response and that I am viewing the page. please be patient I do not type very fast)

canuck the pro :

by the drawer and where the filter housing is then the front face should remove and you may have to pull it up first before pulling it off.

Customer:

There are 3 panels - one with drawer & controls, one central with the drum opening & then the base panel. the base panel is half lose with the 2 screws out from the drain pump filter. Do all these panels need to come off? Also to remove the seal around the door - I assume you mean the entry to the drum? it seems to have clips attaching it on the inner edge? Does this become clear if top panel removed??

canuck the pro :

Do you have the machine on a pedestal?

canuck the pro :

The bottom panel is not part of the machine it is the front panel of the pedestal, no?

Customer:

Machine on floor freestanding. Bottom panel part of machine

canuck the pro :

You will have to disconnect the top and slide it back then disconnect the panel and move it out of the way to access the screws to the front panel. Yes remove the seal around the entry of the drum. Once you have the control panel and the large front panel removed if the bottom panel is a separate panel the screws holding that on will be exposed.

canuck the pro :

When removing the door seal in the entry part there is a clip under the flange of the front of the rubber seal. You have to remove that clamp to remove the seal

canuck the pro :

The clamp is a big circle with a spring you have to extend clamp away from the spring.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok top panel is off. However I think you have the wrong model? there is no clamp round the outside edge of door seal. Only one visible on the inner. The outer rubber is solid & sits freely in the hole in the panel. Looks like panel should come off without touching it. I have undone all screws in centre panel & it is still rock solid!

canuck the pro :

You have to lift the panel up first. The clamp is not on the outer edge....well it kind of is but you have to look under the rubber flange of the seal on the front.

canuck the pro :

I found a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKmrTyr5BPk

Customer:

Rubber seal is very different on my model - no flange to be seen. Rubber appears as solid rigid ring..... :(

canuck the pro :

Is the rigid ring a separate piece from the rubber?

Customer:

nope the rubber appears to be a solid piece of rubber on the outside & looks like it should just slot off when panel removed....Only problem is panel is solid as anything with all screws undone...

Customer:

Bottom panel does not come off like others on online videos either. Think will have to call someone in... thank you for trying to help anyways!

canuck the pro :

Right because it will not move with the door seal there. The clip is there it isn't as easy as the video.

Customer:

ok will go take another look

canuck the pro :

Cool

Customer:

I'm not coooool

canuck the pro :

Ok ...... Very dork of you

canuck the pro :

figured that was the opposite of cool (being cool isn't very cool anyway)

Customer:

cannot get seal off can't find any clamp. Going to cool off.... if find clamp later will give you great review.... if it's not there, I am no further on. Will get back to you....Sorry - this on line service is not as easy as I hoped it might be!

canuck the pro :

Yes be cool. Most of the time it is difficult to really put the directions into text. Especially for someone who talks with their hands most of the time! I will be here whenever you need. Mike

Customer:

Hi Mike, Well I still have not managed to remove the seal after much trying & never saw the clamp. I did however manage to remove the base panel. I decided to run a wash cycle to see if I could see the leak. Nothing at all! So I have done 4 more washes & still no leak. You have mystic powers! So will give you Good Service review as somehow we have fixed it having done nothing.... Maybe with all the trying to remove the seal I did something to it & that was the cause of the leak. Well I have no idea. Thank you anyway .... Nicky

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber