canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a maytag side by side. Fridge/ freezer with ice maker

I have a maytag side by side. Fridge/ freezer with ice maker which stops making cubes after 3-4 cycles then restarts after freezer is switched off for 3-4 hours suggesting ice maker is not ejecting cubes when it should. Water dispenser works fine John Reekir
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Are there cubes getting stuck in the teeth? It may be that the dispenser gets stuck on pieces of ice. When you turn it off for that amount of time the ice is able to melt a bit and dispense the piece of ice that is jamming the ice maker.

Customer: I don't think this is the problem as I don't see bits of ice between teeth and the problem is recurring John
canuck the pro :

When you turn the power back does the icemaker start to fill with water at that point or is it already full?

Customer: Already full
Customer: It is full John
canuck the pro :

It sounds like there is a problem with the float that tells the valve to turn off the water when it is full. You may want to turn the water off and let it go through the cycle of releasing the cubes. Completely defrost the freezer by emptying the fridge and freezer and unplugging it. Leave it unplugged with the doors open for at least 24 hours. Clean the fridge and freezer by wiping it down especially the bottom of the fridge and be sure there is not any blockage in the drain hole there. Plug it back in and do not turn the water on again until it has reached temperature. That will make the problem much less frequent. Eventually you will have to replace the ice maker in the freezer since the float itself cannot be replaced. The water is filling too far and is freezing the top layer and not allowing the motor to turn and release the cubes.