canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

my washing machine keeps tripping out. how can I sort this

Customer Question

my washing machine keeps tripping out. how can I sort this out?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is it blowing the fuse in the panel? With the machine unplugged the fuse no longer blows?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

yes yes

Customer:

Using the correct size fuse? Any fray in the power cord?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

yes. same fuse as previous. no freying of cable

Customer:

Does it make through any of the cycles or blow the fuse as soon as you try to start it?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

it works for approx. 1 minutes and then stops.

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

10 minutes

Customer:

Stops as soon as it tries to turn?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

yes

Customer:

Are you able to turn the drum by hand? Does it turn freely?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

yes

Customer:

Does the drum start to turn before it trips?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

not sure

Customer:

What happens if you turn the drum by hand a few times around? Is there any resistance?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

no

Customer:

There is no resistance at all?

Customer:

Like you could spin it like the Wheel of Fortune and it would spin around?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

sorry there is a bit. im not technical minded. just have a machine that is not working

Customer:

That might not work in your favour. Is there any error code?

Customer:

I am thinking it is going to require some surgery. It is really hard to tell at this point if there is a mechanical fault or if the control board has the issue. Does the display light up as normal when not using to wash?

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

not on this machine. its a hotpoint aquarius model

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

If it requires surgery, can that be organised?

Customer:

Ok the machine will require some exploratory surgery at this point. The first step would be to take the top off and there you will see the motor on top.Take the wire off there and just cut the cable tie which keeps the wires tied to the motor as sometimes the wires can break in there and it shorts on on the motor. So once the motor is unplugged turn it back on and see if it cuts out then. If it doesn't then the motor or wiring is at fault. Check the wiring and if its split repair it and see if this stops it. Or if the wiring is fine then it will be the motor at fault. If it still trips with the motor unplugged then do the same with the heater which is on the front inside the drum. As most of the time for a fault like this its usually either the motor or the heater which causes this fault.

Customer:

As far as finding a repair person in your area I am unsure about that but the manufacturer will have recommendations for qualified techs in your area. If you still have the manual then the contact information is in the back panel of that.

JACUSTOMER-z6x5qlrr- :

I got onto you via the manufactures web site. will contact them as I am the type of person who if I hammered a nail into a wall, would demolish the wall ha ha. any way thanks for your help.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber
You are very welcome. Glad to help.