Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler, fitted seven

Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler, fitted seven yrs ago. Past couple of months, there has been a loud "clicking"noise from boiler whenever water alone is switched on. Plumber says sounds as if boiler is constantly off and on, sounds like fast morse code. One strange thing - houses in my two roads originally built 32 yrs ago by Crest Homes all have same wiring - you can have water alone to heat, but if you switch heating on, water comes on as well, you cannot have heating alone. Plumber has changed stat on cylinder in airing cupboard, still get clicking noise when water switched on. Now thinks could be PCB in boiler ? But is suggesting major rewiring, disruption to newly renovated house, to rewire boiler so heating can come on alone.
New boiler was fitted in 2007 by British Gas, all paperwork looks fine, so would assume wiring was done correctly. Boiler has worked fine since that time, new pump fitted in 2011, so why should I consider paying for rewiring if I am happy for water to come on with heating ?
Do you think the firing/clicking problem is the PCB and should I get that changed ? Yr advice would be hugely appreciated, I am female and live alone so I struggle with Things
Technical !
Many thanks,
Jan McDonald
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
***** ***** :

If the heating is to come on alone then a 3 port valve needs fitting in the airing cupboard, a wire to the cylinder thermostat and a wire to a room thermostat, a wire to the programmer and a mains power cable.

***** ***** :

If you are happy to have the hot water on with the heating then it is up to you - it does not make any difference to the boiler control

***** ***** :

It is the programmer currently that turns on the pump and the boiler and possibly opens a valve in the airing cupboard

***** ***** :

The clicking of the boiler could just be a clicking relay on the PCB - is it causing a problem?

Customer:

Thanks for that, Andrew - I am tempted to leave well alone. Think we have correct 3 port valve in a. cupboard, just think it has not been wired up enough.

Customer:

However, what do you think could be causing the constant on/off clicking noise in boiler ? Wd a faulty pcb cause that problem ?

***** ***** :

A faulty relay could, but is it turning the boiler on and off or just clicking?

Customer:

Think it's just constant, fast clicking when water alone switched on, water still seems to heat up.

***** ***** :

If the ignition is not clicking on and off all the time then there is no stress on the boiler

***** ***** :

It may just be a noisy gas valve and it is modulating between high and low flame to keep the temperature constant

Customer:

OK, will check again with plumber, only happens (I think) when water is up to temp, so you are probably right. When water temp in airing cupba

Customer:

OK, think ure right. Clicking only happens (I think) when water is up to temp. No clicking when water temp on cylinder stat turned up to very high. so I can probably leave well alone ?

***** ***** :

I wouldn't worry or waste my money

***** ***** :

Just bear this mind and mention it again if the boiler fails to heat water or has a problem controlling temperature to what is set on the boiler

Customer:

OK, huge, hugethanks for your help, Andrew, I am very grateful.

Customer:

Jan

***** ***** :

No problem.

***** ***** :

Come back again if you need me.

Customer:

Will do, thanks. Have a good day.

***** ***** :

:-)

Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Gas cooker specialist