Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Our 11 yr. old m/c XLM1400 does not soften our towels etc .

Customer Question

Our 11 yr. old m/c XLM1400 does not soften our towels etc . It empties the softener into the M/c on the third rinse cycle . Our water softener supplies the water .
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Is the washer actaully taking the softner from the drawer?

I take it the towels are comming out hard?
Does the washer seem to get hot during the wash?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it does empty the drawer during the last rinse cycle . I have set a wash

at 90 deg .and the front outside glass is quite warm . the electric meter only

read a little over a kw. used .? .

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok so the softner section is working as thats when it takes the softner at the last rinse.

But if you set it to a 90 deg wash the front should be very hot to touch not just warm.

Is it draining the water out ok and spinning fine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the glasses are definately getting heat from somewhere . The outer glass is not hot enough to hurt a child because the two glasses have a 3" gap between them. They become cold again during the rinse .

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok as this is a hot and cold fill then the wash cycle will take in hot water during the wash cycle. So if you set it to 90 it will tak in hot water only so that could be why you felt some heat from it.
But a 90 deg wash if you touch the metal panel on the front this should be hot touch the same with the control panel.

I think you may find this is down to a heating problem.

You need to check the thermostat on the front if you model has it. If thats ok then you need to remvoe the back panel and test the heater and replace it from there.

But if you wash at lower tempertures then it puts mostly cold water in so if it doesnt heat up then you can get poor wash results like you have now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is only a cold fill machine

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok can you post the full model number please. It will start E-nr

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot access the model no , So your service has not helped . I los t confidence in your replies when you thought my m/c was hot and cold fill ,even when I thought hot and cold fill m/c`s went out of fashion .

I now am terminating this session and want a refund .

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Without a model number i dont know its just a cold fill only as if there was a model i could have got the service manual up.

As you said its 11 years old i assumed it was hot and cold as the older ones were. Its only the last 5 years or so they have been all cold fill only so 11 years ago they werent out of fashion as just cold fill had only just started comming out on the market.

But as to a refund you need to contact customer services from your home page and they will issue you it.