George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Smeg frost free FA390XS2 fridge freezer. The freezer

Customer Question

I have a Smeg frost free FA390XS2 fridge freezer. The freezer is frosting up and the fridge is not getting cold enough.
An engineer visited and advised it needs a new fan motor to blow air up to the fridge from the freezer.
The freezer works fine apart from frosting up and the fridge does get cold....... just not cold enough and food goes off 1 or 2 days earlier than you would expect.
I have been quoted by SMEG £160 + VAT + delivery to get the part.
Is it possible to get the part (or a compatible part) substantially cheaper and if so where...
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with answers to your problem. I am not on the site constantly so kindly be patient whilst awaiting answers.. I will return to your question.

It sounds like you have a defrost problem ...

Firstly, you need to Unplug the power supply to your appliance and defrost your freezer... Defrost can be done naturally over a 24hr period with the door open and the appliance disconnected from the power supply, or forced, by use of a hair dryer or other warm air impliment, being careful not to distort or damage any of the plastic parts in the process.

TIP** Turning-up the heat in the room will speed-up the process.
TIP** Place some towels on the floor of the compartment you are defrosting to soak-up any water created during the defrost procedure

George-Allsorts :

Once this is completed you can then restart the appliance. Your problem should now be cured...

Keep an eye on the appliance; if the same problem represents itself over the space of a couple of weeks you'll need to change some parts.

If you rate my assistance to you today then you may return to me at that point for a list of parts you'll need to change...

JACUSTOMER-8p3e4wz0- :

That has been tried and does not work. As mentioned it has been inspected and we have been advised it need a new fan motor so the question is is it possible to get a replacement fan motor for it substantially cheaper than the SMEG price of £160 - a compatible part...or even to have the current fan motor repaired as we can do without the fridge freezer for a week or so no problem. Thanks

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for that rating of Poor Service.
Sorry, you did not state that this procedure had already been completed... This is required to ascertain if the already existing fan is still working and is just prevented from rotating by ice buildup.

If you are purely asking for the cost of a less expensive fan then this is what the question subject should have remained with..

I can certainly access a less expensive original for you if you can await my response... This may take until tomorrow.

regards

JACUSTOMER-8p3e4wz0- :

Hi I'd be happy to redo it - the rating - I'm new on here and not 100% sure how it works. Tomorrow would be fine though. Many thanks

George-Allsorts :

I will come back to you tomorrow at some time when I have accessed the detailed part information for your appliance.. regards

JACUSTOMER-8p3e4wz0- :

JACUSTOMER-8p3e4wz0- :

There do seem to be a lot of 'universal fit' fan motors about on Amazon etc....also this company supplies such things http://www.remco.co.uk/

George-Allsorts :

Oki Doki.. Result... The part number is###-##-####and is £121.89+vat at Smeg

George-Allsorts :

However, the same part is available at Interspares for £109 incl vat

George-Allsorts :

How is that?

JACUSTOMER-8p3e4wz0- :

Hi Very happy with that thanks as it will be £100 cheaper for me as they do free delivery as well. Looks like the FA390X1 is the same machine just with the door opening the other way. Looking at the part though it looks like a very cheap basic lightweight thing...I expect SMEG pay maybe £5 or something for them. My next quest would be to see if I can get a compatible part (!) I guess - any ideas? No worries if you haven't. If I can't find a compatible then this is a great option....looks VERY easy to fit even with the power being push fit. I will leave you an 'Excellent' rating. Many thanks!

George-Allsorts :

There is not a compaticble for the part.. I have already checked :)

George-Allsorts :

I am glad you are happy.. That is why I do this.

George-Allsorts :

Thank you, ***** ***** of OK, Good, or Excellent, does allow me the satisfaction of knowing what I am doing is worthwhile.

JACUSTOMER-8p3e4wz0- :

Aww that's great thanks. I am going to take the old one out and inspect it...pity they cant be repaired......£100 for what it is is a lot. Will leave an excellent rating now. cheers

George-Allsorts :

If I were you... I would be looking on ebay for someone who has dismantled a working unit for some reason.. you may then half your cost.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George I have now been told by SMEG parts that the part you suggested is not the right one for the FA390SX2....but I'm totally open to the idea they do not know...the bit I need (the fan motor) may be a sub-component of what they suggest. Have you a link to a service manual or such like please? I would like to get it out (the fan motor) and have a look. Many Thanks, Andy

Sorry, I don't have a service manual.. Most Smeg service manuals just give parts breakdown with part numbers... Not an actual Service Manual as we would understand the phrase.

Nevertheless, the part number I was given by two of our Smeg suppliers was Part #795210576

The only people with it in stock was:-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smeg Fan Motor - Evaporator###-##-####- Inter-spares UK
Buy genuine low cost Smeg Fan Motor - Evaporator###-##-####from inter spares. Huge discounts, Technical Support and Secure Online Ordering.

I can check again on Monday if you wish?

regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

Something a bit odd has happened in a good way. I was pulling it to bits etc and put it back together and it seems to have started working again - so maybe no part is needed now....whenever the door is shut the fan comes on. I will load it up and see it goes for a week. Many Thanks again, Andy

This is why I was asking you to go through the procedure first... Sometimes defrosting the fan area and then rotating the fan itself can cure the problem...

I'm glad to hear the good news though.. Saving more money to save toward that well deserved holiday Cool

kindest regards
George