George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My G1142 SC dishwasher has a problem. The pump at the bottom

My G1142 SC dishwasher has a problem. The pump at the bottom centre of the inside of the machine, (under the small L bend pipe with a ball bearing valve(?) inside) is making a terrible noise. Water is squirting out the side of that L bend. I removed that L bend bit (easily) and checked it wasnt blocked. - it seemed fine. It doesnt fit back particularly well, water still squirting out although it did just about clip in.
While checking it out, I also managed to push a protruding round tube like bit of metal, which was sticking out to the right, and it disappeared into the base of the machine.
The machine is flashing all three lights together yellow. Wash/Rinse , Drying, End at the same time.
Any ideas???
thanks
Martin
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** The piece you have removed and not put back properly needs to be put back correctly for the appliance to be able to drain properly

George-Allsorts :

The noise was probably the other piece that you have pushed into the machine... You now have to get that out again otherwise you may damage the machine extensively.

The only thing you can do now is to dismantle the pump to look for the foreign object and then replace the other piece on the top.

George-Allsorts :

The lights are flashing proberbly due to the fact that the appliance cannot drain

George-Allsorts :

I have a copy of the manual if you would like a copy

Customer:

Hi George. It was already making that noise.

Customer:

Hi George.

Customer:

It was making the noise before the part fell in, which anyway is on the other side of the sump, and not where the noise is. It does sound like something is in the pump though . Please do send me the manual if easy to *****@******.***. I don't really see how to get into the underneath to retrieve the part. Could it have been a sensor/probe to tell machine it's drained....

George-Allsorts :

If it was already making the noise then the pump may have been defective and been in need of replacement...

George-Allsorts :

The part could have been a temperature probe.. let us hope not... as this would allow water to drain to the base... To be honest, without seeing exactly where you prodded this part from I am just fishing

George-Allsorts :

Sorry, I can't see that email address..

George-Allsorts :

The problem you had with the flashing lights was definately related to the pump not being able to drain

George-Allsorts :

G1142SC Manual

George-Allsorts :

Did that work for you?

Customer:

Here is a picture. I'm pointing to where the probe was... The other bit that wasn't fitting well is sitting at the top of picture.***@******.*** is email. Thanks

Customer:

Sorry. Yes to the manual link. Thanks.

George-Allsorts :

No picture there?

George-Allsorts :

The bit that is not fitting well sounds like the pump shield that allows the pump outwards rather than inwards

George-Allsorts :

It clips into place above the pump impellor

Customer:

Picture
Full Size Image

Customer:

Sorry. Didnt work from my phone. On computer now

Customer:

Yes. that sounds right. It has a ball bearing that acts like a valve. Water was squirting out around the seal a bit, which made me think there might be a blockage between it, and the sprayer...? I couldnt find anything though

George-Allsorts :

It could be the case that the pipe coming from that pump, which travels outward toward the drain is blocked.. To get at this you will need to take out the dishwasher and partially dismantle it

George-Allsorts :

before doing all this though .. I would suggest that you check the drain that the dishwasher is connected to.. as this is also part of the waste water coarse

George-Allsorts :

By the way... Please remember to rate my assistance to you

Customer:

Can you see the picture I uploaded. what would you say about the probe? How do I get that out and back in place???! That seems pretty important...

George-Allsorts :

Without diagrams to the actual model, again, I have to work on prior experience... but, I seem to remember that the temperature probe protrudes sideways through a small hole in this area

George-Allsorts :

If that is the case, again, this requires dismantling of the appliance to some small degree and you should find that part still in the hole at the other side, just not far enough in to work correctly, and in this case you just push the part back in... Alternatively, it may have fell out and just requires replacing into position...

Is that picture indicative of the current position?

Customer:

The picture shows where it was... Its fallen inside the hole it was coming out of. Im not sure how to begin dismantling to get in below the base plate...

Full Size Image

Customer:

I found this image online on youtube where you can see the probe on the same machine.

George-Allsorts :

ahh.. when you pushed the probe and it disappeared, did water disappear through the hole?

George-Allsorts :

If it did then the probe will be in the base... If it didn't then the probe will still be in the hole at the other side.

George-Allsorts :

I will be away until later.. I will return to your problem later on

Customer:

There was no water above the hole so none drained out but it's pretty definitely fallen inside. I can feel it loose inside.

Customer:

Thanks for your help so far. It would be great to sort this with you.

Customer:

I just cleared the drain pipe and that side seems to be ok now. I think I need to replace the valve part with ball bearing in as the seals and clips are pretty shot. Do you know what that part would be called? Now to get the probe in. Can I turn machine on its side?

George-Allsorts :

Dont turn it on its side.. but feel free to turn it on its back

George-Allsorts :

Is it this part

George-Allsorts :

Full Size Image

Customer:

any tips on how to get the water out before turning it over because the pump isn't getting it all out. i promise to leave you alone soon!

Customer:

That part doesn't look like it but it's hard to tell from that image. I will have more of a look online.

George-Allsorts :

Can you photo yours and post it here.. just to try identify the actual part

George-Allsorts :

I know what part it is but not the name of it

George-Allsorts :

and, they are different in different machines

George-Allsorts :

how did you get on?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

My god, it looks revolting photographed with a flash. I need to do some serious cleaning...

George-Allsorts :

A towel will soak all the water up

George-Allsorts :

That part sitting on top.. is that the part that came off and wont go back on properly?

George-Allsorts :

That is the anti return valve

Customer:

Yes. Thats it. The bit Im pointing too. It goes back on, but when the pumps running, water squirts out around the seal. The clips dont really clip it tight

George-Allsorts :

That bit needs to fit tightly as that is the anti return valve.. without it the pump can't work properly

George-Allsorts :

Did you get the thermostat back in?

George-Allsorts :

If you look carefully at the part, it should have two little locator cutouts in the rim... if you don't get those in the right place then it wont fit back on properly

Customer:

Thanks for the tip. No I havent opened it yet. Im summoning the courage (and the time) to tip the machine over and open it up. Ive got to extract it from the unit first.

Customer:

Just got the thermostat back in and so far so good. seems to be working ok, but I do think I need to replace the anti return valve. where do you recommend getting one?

George-Allsorts :

Call Partmaster on 0344(###) ###-####br/>Describe to them which part it is.. ie. 'The part on top of the pump' .. Don't give the name of the part... If they then send the wrong part then you can send it back.

Customer:

Ok thanks. Many thanks for your help on this. Sorry it was a long winded one...

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair