Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi i have a Hotpoint WT740P washing machine.My problem is the

Customer Question

Hi i have a Hotpoint WT740P washing machine.My problem is the machine will switch on and you can set desired program but when you press the start button,nothing happens.Is this a PCB board issue or a control module board issue
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Do you get any flashing lights at all?
Will the door lock?

If no to the above then its either the door lock itself or the main module at the back. The pcb on the front wont cause this fault.

What you need to do is open the door and remove the metal clamp around the outside of the door seal.
Then unlip the door seal.
Then remove the 2 screws holding the door lock on and pull it through the port hole.

Now inspect the wiring on the lock. If its looks ok then you need to disconnect the wiring block. Now you need a multimeter and there you will see 3 tags. Test betten them and 2 of them should give a reading. If you dont get a contonuity reading at all from the lock then its faulty and will need to be replaced.

But if the door lock is fine then its looking like the moduel board at the back. Take this out and see if theres any signs of burning on there. If so then it will need to be replaced but you will need to replace the lock as well. As the door locks do like to blow the control boards on there.

So check them 2 out and see what you find. As if its not starting and the door isnt locking then its either the door lock or module board.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pete
Just wondering how you got on with the washer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel.

sorry i've not replied to your email,my shift pattern has changed.Because i am not electrically minded i replced both the door lock + main control module and it has made no difference.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Was it a new programed board or refurbished?

Also when you start the cycle will the door actually lock?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The control module was taken from a machine that worked and the cycle does not start at all when you press the start button.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Was the board taken from the excate same model?

As the control boards are programmed up to each model and version so if it was of a different model then it wont work on yours.