George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hi, I have a Maytag MWA09149 WH/1 that won't run. It starts

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Maytag MWA09149 WH/1 that won't run. It starts and attempts to 'sense' its load (pretty pattern on display) but then does nothing. I get no fault message or number. Hubby has researched and found we may need a reset code? Possible faulty programming board?
I washed a rag rug in it last week and it disintegrated. We took it apart to clean (v. carefully) and it ran several loads ok. It then stopped. we used the reset button on the machine and it was ok for another load. Now nothing.
Please help! Melissa
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

When you try and start it will it lock the door?

Also to try a reset turn the dial to off.
Turn the dial 1 click anticlockwise
Then press the reset button 3 times quickly and this should run a test cycle.
Sometimes it takes a few trys to do this.
It will run a test cycle so make sure theres nothing in there.

So try that and see what happens and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

I've tried and ..no luck.

Did the test about 10 times, no response at all.

Also tried:

1. turned the power off at the wall then tried again

2.Did the test followed by 'Start'

If you press and hold 'Reset' it will make some noise. It says 'rES' on the front panel with a symbol in the top right of a basin with water and arrows going down/out. I am presuming it is trying to drain but of course, there is no water in the machine.

Any other ideas?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I don't have any problem with Daniel T. I just need help now. Your system said he'd get back to me in 15 minutes after I tried his suggestion and its been several hours. I am hanging about. waiting. I understand he may need to do some research but it would be helpful if you could give your customers a more realistic idea of the timeframe. Thanks, Melissa
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** Please do await Daniel's response, he may be researching or have connection problems...

In the meanwhile, re-check the drain pump housing to assess any need for unblocking... also, with a long thin implement, check the operational capability of the pump impellor.

Melissa.. can I ask you to quote the Product cade for the appliance please.. it should start with 85

If you can supply this I will attempt to access the required information

regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George,

Thanks very much. I am happy to get a response from Daniel too. I'm not unhappy with him, just need to get this sorted!. I will check the things you suggested.

The door does lock when you begin.

Will check and get back to you with product code...any idea where to look?

Thanks, M

Thank you.. Once you have this information for us.. Either myself or Daniel will return to you with a response after some research on the product code.. This will not be immediate but will be as soon as is possible.

kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks to you both, Daniel and George,

Product Code is

852100615010

I can't seem to find a manual or any instructions at all on this machine. If you find anything, can you pass it along please?

I will check the drain pump housing and pump impeller, I have found a diagram and I think I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks, M

Thanks for that response.. I will get straight on the case to see if I can get the answer for you... This however, may take a little time, as I will have to await a response from the manufacturer.
Please follow the instructions here and let me know the error codes that appear

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

I followed the instructions and nothing happened. It's an Intellisense (not a Wave or Wave eco). Daniel also gave me similar instructions (turn knob left and press reset 3 x quickly) also, nothing happened. I am not getting any fault message at all.Also unplugged for a bit and tried again.

On any chosen cycle, the machine just has a little think ( I am assuming it is trying to sense the load-pattern of lights in a clockwise circle) makes a click noise and then does nothing. The screen shows the temp/ wash time (blinking) and spin speed as before.

The Fault code access is for both types of model; it is as stated there for an Intellisense, however, if you have a Wave or an Eco you follow the instruction differently, as shown.

If you are not getting any fault codes then this means either there is no fault.. or, the board cannot see the fault.. sometimes this happens if you have a fault with an inverter board for an induction motor, and sometimes if a pump is jammed.

Things to check:
1. Check the operational capability of the impellor on the pump (make sure it is not jammed)
2. Make sure the belt is on at the back of the drum, if the board can't sense the drum it will operate as if the drum is empty.

Then come back to me and we can go further

regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the machine completely open again, sorry it's taking some time.

The belt is on and the connectors in the area look undisturbed.

I have checked the impeller-seems to be ok. I can move it pretty freely with my finger, it goes a little way then clunks forward a quarter turn or so. It does spin and it doesn't seem to be hindered by a blockage.

When I unscrewed the cap concealing the impeller (I am assuming the impeller is the green fan looking thing which spins-I am not overly technical) some water leaked onto the floor, maybe a pint. It was full of Persil so I am assuming the machine attempted the wash first time. It brought some water into the machine, clearing the soap tray and then stopped. Possible that pump is not working? Possible that rug fluff got in there? see first post.

Next job is to get to the pump behind the impeller I think. Hubby got the lid off first time but isn't here right now. I got two screws out but it appears to have two plastic posts which look like they have to be pried out with a screwdriver. I'm not keen to break. Is this the normal way to do it? I know lid can come before top front panel so shouldn't be more screws. Can't get front top panel off (don't have the right sized nut spinners) but worked a way round.

Thanks, Melissa

You do not need to strip the machine to get at the pump... You can test the pump from the rear of the machine if you take off the rear panel...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the rear panel off. How do I test the pump?

Making sure the power is disconnected, remove the wires from the plug on the pump.
Note** If the wires are not in a moulded block then make a note of where they go

Get a multimeter and find out if there is resistance across the two terminals..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I can't quite reach the wires. From online pictures, there seems to be a white, moulded block that the wires go into facing the front of the machine. The front panel has to come off. I'll have another go.

I've got the multimeter but not that versed in using it. What range would you expect it to be in and what resistance would you expect if working as it should?

Any thoughts on getting the top off the machine?

Thanks, Melissa

Different pumps have different ranges, most multimeters are now auto-ranging, but try different ranges, also try continuity.. Don't worry too much about the range but let me know if there is a reading..

I have the service manual here with the fault codes and test stages in it... but cannot get it to you without you accepting the Additional Service request
Hi Melissa, Can I ask if you have sorted the problem yet ?

Either way, Please remember to rate my assistance kindly