Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

i have a panasonic aquaria heat pumpcan you help me? I have

i have a panasonic aquaria heat pump can you help me? I have a specific question about the flow switch. I get h62 error. The heat pump is new and was installed but never worked past this error. The installers have gone out of business. We took out the switch, it has a magnet in it, covered in steel crap, so cleaned it put it back same error. I want  to understand how that flow switch works and what is the purpose of the magnet.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi , why not get in touch with Panasonic.it should still be under warranty.I'm sure they would be able to send one of their service guys to help you out.

Customer:

becasue we are in france and there are no people who actually want to do work here.

Customer:

I was trying to understand this for myself, as Im a scientist I thought I would manage.

Customer:

I would like you to answer some questions about the switch. Tell me what time you be online

Plumberpro :

Ok . I'll try to help . is it an air to water heat pump ? Is it heating hot water and heating?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

just heating. It is just one circuit connected right now so very simple

Customer:

have you seen one of these flow switches?

Customer:

I can send you a picture of it if you want

Plumberpro :

Ok . a flow switch is used to sensevwater/fluid movement usually moved by a pump . the heating sides will allow to heat or operation when the flow switch is operated as the appliance the knoiws the system is up and running and calling for heat. I'll give you an example. On a house boiler , the programmer is turned on for heating , it then checks with the room stat which then turns boiler and pump on . the pump on operates the flow switch which then takes the boiler through its motions , is fan runs, gas valve opens, boiler sparks and ignites, and then tempo regulated via the thermostats. So on your system the flow switch be operated by a pump. What type of heat pump is it?

Customer:

its a panasonic aquera

Customer:

i know what the switch does in principle, but I wanted to ask you about this specific one. we have taken it apart. It has a magnet inside.

Plumberpro :

Is it heating your hot water and/or heating

Customer:

Do you know what the magnet does?

Customer:

the flow switch is not operated by the pump: it has 5V across the wires to it, and the switch closes when the water flows

Customer:

I think it is mechanical in nature, but I wanted to ask how the switch works

Plumberpro :

The magnet is called a reed switch. There will be a magnet/ball that moves up to a sensor when the fluid/water moves it to a location where it is detected and then will turn on the unit. Then when thenfluid/water stops flowing the magnet drops back down and turns the unit off . so where the magnet is , on the outside will be a sensor switch

Customer:

so there will be another magetised piece that it is attracted to within the switch?

Plumberpro :

Yes, not totally sure if its magnetised or just attracted to operate the switch contacts

Customer:

is that electrically controlled? The magnet we can see is a permanent magnet, you think there is something

Customer:

when it is in the ON position that detects the magetism? Or something that attracts it so it stays open

Plumberpro :

No . power comes to the switch but is not passed , but when the magnet moves to the correct location the switch makes contact and let's the current pass to the next function

Customer:

but when the water goes away, if it is magetized, the magnet will stay in place

Customer:

if it is pushed into place by the water I mean, and its a magnet, and its attracted to what it is touching,

Plumberpro :

They are normallybon a vertical so that the magnet drops down by gravity

Customer:

then why will it fall back down again when the water stops

Customer:

a magnet sticks to the fridge

Customer:

and can stick upside down

Customer:

ok, but I think I see. So there is a steel box around the magnet, which is heavy. So the water

Plumberpro :

Yes but the magnet drops down when water stops by gravity . the magnets strength is designed to let it drop back to a starting position

Customer:

pushes it upwards, the magnet aligns the electrical contacts, the current flows through and everyone is happy. The steel is heavy enough such that without the help of the water, it will fall off

Plumberpro :

Yes, you've got it

Plumberpro :

Do you have the manual to check the error codes?

Plumberpro :

You may need to check that all pumps are running

Plumberpro :

Sorry, also check pumps are running the right direction

Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced