Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I've got an old Trianco TRO 28/32 oil fired boiler which worked

Customer Question

I've got an old Trianco TRO 28/32 oil fired boiler which worked well till we turned it off in the spring. It fires up ok now but there are 3 lights on the front to indicate the state of the boiler and none are on. Both the internal and external fuses are ok but although the boiler gets hot, the pump isn't circulating the water round the system. There's power to the control panel and it's set to heat the house but no hot water's getting to the radiators - can you help?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi . how is the heating system filled. By a header tank or by the mains ( sealed system ) ?

Customer:

Have you bled the radiators

JACUSTOMER-rp854ulv- :

Header tank and not since spring

Customer:

The system may be air locked somewhere , bleed the pump , the rads and check header tank is refilling.also try the pump on maximum . air can build up /be released from the water over the summer . check for manual air release valves within boiler on heating pipes , also on all high pipework points and check near hot water cylinder.

Customer:

The pump may be seized. Open the bleed on the pump, insert a screw diver and feel for the pumps spinning. If the pumps in good condition , you shouldn't be able to stop the impeller .

JACUSTOMER-rp854ulv- :

Thanks, ***** ***** these but would they prevent all 3 of the status lights on the front of the boiler panel from lighting? I'd have expected the

JACUSTOMER-rp854ulv- :

power light to be on at least.

Customer:

Try turning the boiler on and off to reset

Customer:

Do you have a multimeter or voltage tester to check if there is power to the boiler?

JACUSTOMER-rp854ulv- :

Sorry, I'd gone to bed. I'll see if I can get hold of a multimeter and check teh power when I get home this evening. I'll get back to you.

Customer:

Ok

JACUSTOMER-rp854ulv- :

Good morning Toby. I couldn't get hold of a meter yesterday but I'm picking one up from a friend tomorrow morning and will check the power then. In the meantime I'd previously bled the downstairs radiators and they were fine but when I tried the upstairs ones last night they wouldn't bleed. I checked the header tank and found the ball valve had stuck shut. I freed it and was able to bleed the remaining radiators. Unfortunately although the boiler still fires up, there's no circulation. I'll let you know how I get on once I've tested the electrics.

Customer:

Ok , but I don't think you need the electrical tester. It will definitely be air in the system. Try to bleed upstairs rads, it may be very slow and the pump , eventually it should fill, but you need to clear the air first

Customer:

Hi . how did you get on . was it air?

JACUSTOMER-rp854ulv- :

Hello Toby. I bled the radiators again last night but still no joy, however when I woke up this morning the radiators were all on !

JACUSTOMER-rp854ulv- :

Still no lights on the front of the boiler though. I've just picked up the AVO meter and I'll test them when I get back.

Customer:

That's great , just going out for a couple of hours, speak later then ,