Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

hi there, I have a maytag atlantis (mde6400agw) which I bought

hi there, I have a maytag atlantis (mde6400agw) which I bought second hand.
The machine has been working fine for 6-7 months but recently it has been blowing the 13 amp fuse in the plug a lot, and yesterday it melted part of the plug. I am not sure why it would be doing this, can you help?
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Can you tell me, does the wiring in the plug itself, look burnt?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

I think that the wiring in the plug was loose. This machine pulls a large current and if the wires are loose, this will cause a lot of heat. This will cause the wiring to burn and the fuse to blow.

You need to go to a good diy store and buy a good quality plug, like an MK brand. Cut back all the burnt wiring and remake the new make plug, making sure all the connections are tight

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I have replaced the fuse 5 or 6 times and the plug twice, both times I replaced the plug I re-stripped the wires, one of the melted plugs is mk brand. I had one of these washers in the past and it was wired into the wall, but I can find no information to say that it cannot work off a plug.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that

Can you look on the rating plate and give me all the details about the current and voltage etc

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

220-240v ~ 50Hz 1ph 4600W max

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

I just found it too.

The problem here is that on the highest setting its going to draw 4.6KW !!

The maximum that a 13 amp plug can cope with safely, is 3KW

You should have this wired into a double poled socket rated at 20amp

Sorry its maybe not the answer you hoped for, but at least you now know how to go with this.

Rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** be able to fit that instead of the socket that is there or does it need its own wire from the fuse board?

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

If that socket is on the ring main, you would need to take a seperate feed back to the fuse box. Probably something best left o an electrician, unless you have the experience

Please dont forget to rate as this is the only way I get credit for helping you today

Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.