Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a hotpoint mistral plus frost free fridge freezer bought,

I have a hotpoint mistral plus frost free fridge freezer bought, I think, in 1997. It would seem that the fridge isn't working but the freezer is. Is this possible and is there anything that can be done. Vicky
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

As this is a frost free the fridge will get its cooling from the freezer section. So what you may find here is the evaporator inside the freezer may be blocked.

What you can try first is empty it out and turn it off for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open.

Then turn it back on and see how it goes. As it may just be a one off and the defrost cures it.

But if it happens again in say 3 weeks then theres a fault with either the defrost heater, NTC sensors or the control board.

But to be honest at 16 years old its probberly not messing with as once you have paid for parts and labour you are probbely looking at about £100 but if its the control board this will be more.

But this is up to yourself if you wanted it repaired as it can still be fixed. But try the defrost first as this may just fix the fault here.