canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Power light I on but TV will not come on

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Do you get sound? Is there a white screen or just blank? Will you also provide the model number and manufacture date? Do you currently have it connected to a surge protector?

Customer:

Hi - no nothing at all. I have just got it on by pressing all the directions at once but it dp0esnt always work. Sometimes it comeson by switching on and off from the mains switch but not always. Don't know manufacture date but bought new in 2011. Nos. I have are LE 32c530 and 625558

canuck the pro :

Do you have it plugged to a surge protector?

Customer:

Not sure it is just plugged into the wall socket

Customer:

Havent got an answer?

canuck the pro :

Are you going to repair it yourself? The next thing we'd want to check will involve removing the back of the tv.

Customer:

No don't think I can tackle that!

canuck the pro :

I suspect what is the issue is that a capacitor on the power supply for the board has blown. Often this is caused by power surge. We couldn't know for sure without a little surgery.

canuck the pro :

It is not very difficult to replace the power supply board. It is not inexpensive though. If you can electronics solder and it is the power board then replacing a capacitor is very inexpensive.

canuck the pro :

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

This is what the board would look like . It would be about £30.

canuck the pro :

The capacitors are the battery looking things and if they are blown the top will be bulged. A good capacitor will be perfectly flat on top. Here is an example of a capacitor leaking electrolyte

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

When the capacitor can no longer store power properly the power distribution is irregular and will be difficult to turn on and off and eventually no longer turn on at all.

Customer:

Ok thanks for help - will get somebody to help me.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome.