canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a Samsung PS42Q9HD 40 inch tv with a power supply problem.

I have a Samsung PS42Q9HD 40 inch tv with a power supply problem. When the tv is switched on, the set fires up and works for about 3 to 5 minutes, after which time it switches off and then tries to switch back on again repeatedly until it succeeds. It then stays on for up to 1 minute after which time it switches off and then repeats the process all over again until it finally succeeds in staying switched on.
This happens every time the set is switched on. Suggestions or solution please!
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Are you planning on repairing yourself? Very likely it is a failing capacitor or could be the main board. You would need to remove the back and do a little exploratory surgery to be sure.

Customer:

I am probably just going to attempt the repair myself depending on the complexity of the operation. I do have a modicum of technical expertise.

canuck the pro :

Excellent! Well the first part is pretty easy. Remove the back and look for some bulging capacitors on the power supply. Let me know what you find.

Customer:

I took the back off and found a damaged capacitor as you predicted. I have now decided to call in a tv repair guy as I am not sure I can do the job myself..However, I thank you for your interest and practical advice which has at least help me decide my course of action.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. If you can solder a bit then replacing the capacitor is not difficult. You also have the option of replacing the power supply on your own. It really is hardly worth calling someone since most just order a new board anyway. If you can find someone who will change the capacitor that would be the least expensive route for sure.