Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

zanussi washing machine... 9 yrs old, been in storage for 2...

zanussi washing machine... 9 yrs old, been in storage for 2... 'play' light just keeps flashing, machine tries to fill then stops and play button still flashes. can you help?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

Sure... ZWD16270W

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok lets see what the error code is.

Set it going on a cycle and then press and hold the start button and the skip/reset button.
Keep them held in for several seconds and the error code will come up E??

Let me know the code.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

I cannot get a cycle started. Since I switched the machine on earlier for the first time in a while and pressed 'play' it 'tries' to fill up with water and clicks into motion and the play light turns green. Then immediately after, the machine clicks off, and the play light goes back to flashing- no filling or cycle happens.

All the connections are patent and working, (we have just swapped the machine for a different one that was working fine).

There is no error code available.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Ok so when you press and hold the 2 buttons nothing comes up?

It doesnt matter that its stops the error code should still come up.

If its not then turn the washer off
Press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.
Keep them both held in and turn the dial 1 click clockwise.
Keep the buttons held in till the leds start to flash then let go.
Now turn the dial 9 clicks clockwise and the error code will come up E??

Let me know the code and then turn the washer off then on the back off again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I pressed the start button and the button to the left of it... this isn't displayed as the 'reset' button but I pressed it anyway and it says 'Ed4'

Thanks...

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

I relise now it hasnt got the reset button. It was with you saying it was 9 years old i thought it was a different style front. Belive it or not this is no more then 6 years old as they started this model in 2008.

But anyway as to the fault its going to be the dryer element thats the problem here. Mositure will have got into the element because ut hasnt been used so has go down to earth and it messes the electronics up and causes this fault.

What you need to do is remove the top and there you will see the metal dryer chamber running from front to back. At the very back you will see 4 wires. This is for the dryer element.

Disconnect them and tape them up so they are out of the way.
Now try a wash cycle and you should find this will work as normal now.

If you dont use the dryer side then you can just leave it like this. But if you do use the dryer then you need to replace the dryer element to get the dryer side running again.

But with the dryer heater disconnected you can at least use the wash side.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Daniel.

Can you tell me how much you think a dryer element would cost (UK) and how easy they are to fit or get fitted? Also... how easy is it to 'remove the top' and do I need any special tools for this?

We are just trying to figure out whether this machine is worth keeping or not.. from a financial point of view.

Emma.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

The dryer element is about £45 for the part itself. If you are getting an engineer in then you can add another £50 roughly for labour.

As to removing the top its just a philips screwdriver you need to remove the 2 screws at the back of the top. Then pull the top backwards and it will lift off.

Then you will see the wires at the very back.

But as to replacing it yourself this can be fidderly as you need to remove the dryer motor and then the metal chamber so you need to be handy at diy and have a few tools to replace the part.

But as i said if you dont use the dryer side you can just disconnect the dryer heater by pulling the wires off and tape them up with insulation tape and the wash side will work fine that way.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.