George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Have an AEG FAVORIT 50760 i dishwasher which has stopped heating

Have an AEG FAVORIT 50760 i dishwasher which has stopped heating up the water or drying the dishes. No error message shows up on the control panel, so I am wondering if the heating element is broken. Is the machine too old to get spares for and is it a job I can do?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 3 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** are two possible causes:

1. The heater relay on the control board has lost connection on one of its legs and requires resoldering.

2. The heater element is defective - HEATER 230V 2000W D 32MM DISHWASHER Part Nr #50297618006

Both of these jobs are relatively easy to do and can be done by the layman providing a little common sense and DIY skills are available

Customer:

So far not had much success and didn't find it easy!

George-Allsorts :

I can talk you through the procedure if you wish?

George-Allsorts :

Can you supply the PNC from the label down the side of the door please and I'll try access some printed material for you.

Customer:

Was busy elsewhere. Tried to get at the control board (followed http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-repair-your-AEG-or-Electrolux-dishwasher) but could not release and open the control panel to check for either a burn mark or loose connection. Then tried to check the heater element to see if it looked the same as the part number you quoted. Found a source and picture at http://www.spares4appliances.co.uk/dishwasher-spare-parts-c39/heater-elements-c42/electrolux-2000watt-dishwasher-heater-element-p28447?gclid=CJDJgJSZqsECFYzHtAodWHEA9g but wanted to check they looked similar. I know Electrolux own AEG but ..... In order to try find the heater, I took off the lower cover at the front, couldn't see where it was, then checked out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnoXDPlXC6g and decided it was way above my skill level. I know youtube was showing a different model of AEG but figured they would have used the same basic design. Having recoiled in horror, I decided to replace the dishwasher as I may be throwing good money after bad, not being entirely sure what was wrong, but being entirely sure it was beyond me. Wished I had talked to you first but there we are. Can't fault your advice.