Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

whirlpool upright freezer stopped working suddenly fuse ok

Customer Question

whirlpool upright freezer stopped working suddenly fuse ok but no light display. i hear a click internally when i switch on off at plug
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Also is the clicking noise comming from the compressor at the bottom?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A class electronic

Click is like an internal switch which throws each time I switch on/off. coming from top of freezer where electronics are

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok the electronic control board in there will be faulty. If the noise is from there then that will be the cause of the fault.

Ive replaced loads of them for faults were it just wont start and you get a click from it. The click will be one of the relays in there.
So remove the plastic control panel at the top and from there you can access the control board. Its just a case of swaping the board over and that will cure the fault here.

Now in the past ive removed it and refitted it and its kicked it back into life again. But it doesnt last long as it will go off again im afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where can I get the part and what do I ask for

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
If you open the freezer and remove the bottom drawers there should be a sticker with the details on it. If its not at the bottom it will be towards the top.
There will be a long number that starts 85. Can you post this but you need to prefix it with an A otherwise it gets crossed out.

Eg A852512341234

Then i can get the correct part number for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A854980615020

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Ive had a good search on the spares sites i use and its looking like its comming up as obsolete on there.

The best thing to do is give whirlpool a ring in the morning and give them that 85 number and tell them you need the PCB and see if they have one in stock for you.

There number is *****(###) ###-####br/>
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Part cost £120 from number you supplied. I had a quote to repair for 135 so I employed you needlessly. Thanks anyway. Martin

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

What we do is help you find the fault and i think we did that. Sorry the fault was an expensive repair but i cannot control the prices im afraid.

Sometimes the repairs can be a lot less then these fixed prices thats popping up around now a days.

But to replace the boards its a simple swap over. You just remove the panel at the top and swap the wiring over to the new one and thats it.

But hopefully they will replace the board for you and sort the fault out from there.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tracked down this part in France for 75 euro or in UK for 95 gbp. 481245228851. how confident are you that its my answer. Does the whole panel just unclip or are there hidden screws? Marin

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

From the fault you describe its 95% sure its the control board.

As to the panel if you open the door there may be a screw on the under side and then you need to use a flat screwdriver to prise the panel off on top of the appliance?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have fitted the new part successfully. Freezer working again. Many thanks. I gave you good feedback. Martin

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Nice one glad to hear its sorted and thanks for letting me know how it went.