Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Hotpoint 'Intelligent Care' freezer. It is now sho

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint 'Intelligent Care' freezer. It is now showing only 11 degrees with a flashing 'thermometer' sign in the display. I've switched to FF but to no avail.
My email address is *****@******.***
Please advise urgently.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear that, I am Tech Michael
I will be helping you today.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and may take a bit of conversation to get the issue narrowed down and solved.
May I have the model # ***** the age of your freezer?
Also is there any excessive frost or ice inside the freezer anywhere on the rear wall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael

The temperature has just gone up a degree to 12.

The fridge/freezer must be about 15 years old I think. The model name 'Intelligent Care' and label inside back of fridge says type R134A. There doesn't seem to be any frost or ice on back wall.

Andrew

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Andrew,
This may be a defrost issue and there are a few parts that will need to be checked and replaced. I usually tell most of my customers, once you are going through the trouble to take it all apart may as well replace the Defrost timer, the heater element and the sensor.
But before you spend money on any of that. You need to defrost the whole thing with the door open for 24 hours.
Then clean up any standing water. Next plug it back in and let me know what happens over the course of a week.
If it doesn't frost up Great no issues.
But if it does this again please let me know and I will direct you on where to get those parts and how to complete this. Sometimes even frost free units will do this depending on outside humidity and temp.
Please don’t forget to rate my service before closing this page,
then you can always contact me the very same way at no additional cost if you have further questions about this;-)
Thank you Andrew and have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Two quick questions ~ if you put your hand on the back black plate or on either of the sides is the metal warm to the touch. If you put your hand on the motor (compressor) on the back is it hot or luke warm?

Once you have checked these two things out, place your head near the appliance, can you hear a hissing or gurgling?

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.

My details are listed below ~

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I would like to be thorough on this for you, that is why I asked you to do the defrost. There could be simply ice build up behind the rear wall in the freezer that is preventing the air from circulating. If the problem persists then we would go the additional route;-)
Any further questions please don't hesitate to ask me. Im here to help save you money and time;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael

and also Ian

In view of the fact that the appliance is at least 15 years old and really, therefore, owes me nothing and that probably it needs some spare parts which would intrude a delay in fitting, I decided to bite the bullet and exchange it for a new one so that I should have peace of mind, hopefully for as long as I need such an appliance. So I've ordered a new fridge freezer which will be delivered tomorrow with the present one removed simultaneously.

That said, I'm very grateful to the two of you for your timeous and helpful advice.

With best wishes,

Andrew

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
You are more than welcome we are here to be helpful;-)
Tech Michael