George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Belling Format freestanding cooker probably 18 years old, with

Belling Format freestanding cooker probably 18 years old, with ceramic top, grill and top oven and main fan oven. Specification no 62381 MK2. When switched on the main oven warms up, fan runs but it trips the power at the main board after 2-3 minutes. Top oven, grill and hob OK. Have replaced cut-out thermostat at bottom left viewed from back, but to no avail. Mike Arnesen
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello Mike, my name is***** am not here constantly, so kindly be patient whilst awaiting responses...

The problem you have is with the breakdown of the fan oven element.. When the element warms-up it has an earth leakage which then trips the electricity consumer unit.

On this model there are two element types available so it is best to check which one you have before ordering...

Type 1: Belling###-##-####(Internal Diameter or Width 180mm)

Type 2: Belling###-##-####or Hotpoint C00199665 (Internal Diameter or Width 235mm) ... There is another element QUA006 which is Non-OEM that is available at a significantly reduced price.

Take out the oven shelves and there is a panel at the back of the oven that needs to be removed for viewing and changing the element... When you have the element and are ready to fit it you will also need to remove a partition of the rear coving panel of the appliance to fit the element.

Customer:

I assume you are diagnosing element failure. It is worth adding that prior to changing the cut-out I disconnected it and switched on the oven. It did not trip the power supply, which led to my guess that the fault lay with the cut-out.

George-Allsorts :

It is extremely rare for a cut-out to go to earth.. Effectively, if you disconnect the cut-out you are disconnecting the power to the element as the power for the element travels through the cut-out on most cookers...

A simple test for you.. Whilst leaving the cut-out connected.. Disconnect both wires from the element, turn on the power on, and switch the oven on... If the problem is the oven element then nothing will happen.. If the problem is the cut-out earthing then the power will trip.

Customer:

Thankyou, will make test, but as cooker is not here will have to come back.

George-Allsorts :

No problem at all.. If you need advice on spare parts cost, just ask

regards

Customer:

Not yet performed test, but am assuming element failure. Cannot find a Model No on spares supply site to identify element part number. So as not to leave open this question can you advise part no/supplier/approx cost, and I can close question. Will raise again if required.

George-Allsorts :

What is the model number of your appliance? It is on a sticker on the metal kick-panel at the bottom of the oven.. also on the rar of the cooker.

If you can't fine the model number then you have to measure the element

Customer:

Model No indistiguishable, but Spec No 62381 MK2, Serial No(###) ###-#### ***** you get a model no fron this?

George-Allsorts :

Yes.. however the model 62381 has all three of the above elements listed against it...

You'll need to take the panel off from the inside of the oven and measure across the element to find out which type your oven takes

Customer:

Sorry George, have been picking up only half of your messages, but now have all info and found items on spares site. Thanks