canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Hi, I'm upgrading an existing kitchen with a nefIf t23s36nogb

I'm upgrading an existing kitchen with a nefIf t23s36nogb gas hob. What is the minimum height to a soffit above? I have 700mm and the gas safe installer said should be fine but i want to make sure. I'm seeing online minimum 760mm from the worktop. Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks for your time
Malcolm
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The information you found was correct for an overhead exhaust fan. The space between the cook top and fan must be no less than 750mm.

canuck the pro :

Range hood is minimum 600mm.

Customer:

i am the kitchen installer (joiner) and the customer has had the plans/designs made. i have this query, my first job i'll do is to open up the soffit to see if this can be raised to make 750mm, is this from worktop or top of the hob?. There isn't a fan going in as it sits within an alcove which isn't the full depth ( around 400mm). The electrician i always use says it doesn't need a fan for regulations as it's an upgrade and not a new kitchen like extension with a building warrant getting permitted. I want to make sure there is no come back with this as its granite worktops getting templated. Also what is the minimum distance from side of hob and back, am i right 50mm for the back and 50mm for the side?

canuck the pro :

Sorry, I assumed there was an exhaust fan or range hood. The measurement is from the top of the cooktop and in the case of not having a fan or range hood you only need 600mm. From the side is minimum 200mm from the burner to the wall. There is no clearance needed in the back if it has a splashback otherwise 200mm from the burner.

Customer:

Ok grea

Customer:

Yeah normally there always is a hood just there is no space. They didn't want to go down the path of dropping flu's after smoking testing the chimney. So 600mm is fine which i have 690mm from worktop to soffit which will leave me around 640mm from the top of the hob to the soffit... I dont have 200mm at the side but it's a tiled splashback like the back, does that sound ok?

canuck the pro :

Remember the 200mm is from the burner not the space between the wall and cook top. Do you still not have the clearance?

canuck the pro :

200mm between wall and burner

Customer:

it depends what side the controls are on and i dont have the appliance yet looking online all the controls seem to be at the front? So theres not a set size from the side of the hob just the burner?

canuck the pro :

Yes because there is not a standard placement for the burner in different model hobs. The clearance is for combustion safety purposes.

Customer:

Reading on the neff website just now they have given the spec as 100mm from the cut out to the wall minimum with the appliance they supply. So this must fall into regulations with there appliance they supply if they are giving this size for this particular appliance so that's good enough to go with yes?

canuck the pro :

Sounds about right to me. I would think from the information provided that all will be well without any adjustments necessary.

Customer:

Great thanks for your help

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber