Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Amana side-by-side fridge/freezer model no SBDE522VW approx

Customer Question

Amana side-by-side fridge/freezer model no SBDE522VW approx 12 years old. Appliance keeps tripping the power supply every 10/15 minutes. I have checked the plug which looks OK and have hoovered the condenser coils and fan outlet grille. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

This is going to be abit of a fiddle as we need to establish which component is causing you the problem, how handy are you with tools and things?

JACUSTOMER-kbudiasm- :

I'm pretty average but I'll give it a go!

Dales-Electronic :

OK I lost the internet for a moment there sorry ~ we have to establish if its the motor first, so take off the back cover off where You hovered out the condenser. With the mains electric disconnected remove the compressor cover and noting the connections disconnect the motor (compressor) insulate the lose motor electrics out of the way, now reconnect to the mains electric, switch it on and see if it is still tripping the electric. If after say 25 minutes (assuming that the electric hasn't tripped again) Power off reconnect the motor and see if the electric trips in the noted time. If so you have a compressor fault and a new item will have to be fitted. This Amana is a wonderful appliance and well worth the money you might spend on a repair. I have both an old Amana & a newer Maytag both superb machines. Let me know how you have got on and if needed I can take you to the next stage ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-kbudiasm- :

OK - I will get back to you

JACUSTOMER-kbudiasm- :

Can't find how to take compressor cover off!! I can see leads inside and earth on outside

Dales-Electronic :

If you can remove the three wires noting where they came off or (bare with me, in the later ones there was a plug that you could pull out from above the compressor that fed electric to the unit, not sure about the earlier ones) if you have to then break off the plastic cover, it is usually held in by either a U spring clip, a screwdriver latch or a screw at the side (depends on whose compressor they have used. Once you can get at the wires refer back to earlier post

JACUSTOMER-kbudiasm- :

Appliance tripped in first 25 mins so not the compressor?

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Can You advise what skill levels you have regarding testing of electrical components, the next stage is a strip down of the appliance and subsequent testing of electrical items.