Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

My Volkera Compact 25 boiler has a red light on. I increased

My Volkera Compact 25 boiler has a red light on. I increased pressure from 1 to 2 and reset boiler. It flashes green then turns red again. I have tried to reset twice. The heating is on when I do this. I have a young child in the flat so want to get the heating working asap. When i reset i can hear boiling water noises then red light comes on and it all goes quiet.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi . does it do the same for hot water?

Plumberpro :

Please give me as much information as possible , please so I can make a proper diagnosis

Customer:

sorry don't know what you mean by this? should i turn on a hot tap and see what happens?

Plumberpro :

Yes please.

Customer:

ok done that - left running for 20 seconds. red light still on, no change and no sounds from boiler. the heating is still on at timer. pressure still at 2.

Plumberpro :

Pressure is fine. Did you reset the boiler before running hot tap?

Customer:

no. should i? and should i turn off heating at timer switch?

Plumberpro :

Yes try turning the power to boiler off , then back on , then run hot tap, thanks

Customer:

and switch off heating at timer switch?

Plumberpro :

Yes please

Customer:

one more thing - when i switch off boiler at dial the light flashes green. mean anything? i've switched off heating at timer.

Plumberpro :

No. Its normal

Plumberpro :

Does the Hot water work ?

Customer:

no hot water. and red light back after 20'ish seconds

Customer:

it sounds like the boiler is trying

Plumberpro :

Please understand thus may take a while. Even in front of the boiler it can take a while to diagnose a fault , thanks

Plumberpro :

Can you hear a fan running?

Customer:

that's fine. i just hope you can help.

Customer:

fan? not sure. do you mean after i've switched on and green light is flashing? Maybe.

Plumberpro :

Could you hear a fan running and sparking noises as though the boiler is trying to light?

Customer:

can i just check i am switching on OK? With my boiler there are 2 dials on front - 1 for hot water and 1 for heating. i turn the heating dial to off (it gently clicks) wait 30 seconds then turn back to about 4 (our of 10).

Customer:

should i try again and figure out noises?

Plumberpro :

Yes please. But can you turn the whole power off at the switch , then back on .then listen for the sounds the boiler is making . can you hear the fan running , ignition sparking? Thanks

Customer:

oh, is there another switch other than the dial on the front? i haven't been able to find anything else. any idea where it might be?

Plumberpro :

It could be beside the boiler or where the programmer is , if its in a different place to the boiler

Customer:

i'll go and look

Plumberpro :

Ok

Customer:

i can't find another switch. it's not with programmer and not on boiler. do you have a picture of my exact model so that you could tell me where it is exactly?

Plumberpro :

That's ok . if you do it how you did it before with the boiler switch , but is the hot water working?

Customer:

ok. so switch off, wait for 30 secs, switch on then turn on hot water. and listen for sounds.

Plumberpro :

Yes please

Customer:

so perhaps its a fan that starts (it sounds like the regular boiling noise) with a faint electrical sounds, then when you expect the boiler to kick in there's just a gurgle of water. it did this twice. then red light, then lots of gurgles.

Plumberpro :

Ok . I'm sorry to say its nothing that can be sorted tonight . the fan and or air pressure switch needs replacing . these can be tested with a multimeter. Do you have one?

Customer:

i have no idea but I would say no (hubby is away and naturally he kno

Plumberpro :

Ok .

Customer:

'knows' the tool box. what should i do tomorrow if we don;t have a multimeter?

Plumberpro :

Is your boiler under warranty?

Plumberpro :

Do you know how old your boiler is?

Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced