canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Fridge/Freezer .... Freezer is leaking and a build of ice down

Fridge/Freezer .... Freezer is leaking and a build of ice down right hand side, difficulty removing drawers.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you remove the bottom drawer of the fridge, is there a buildup of debris and water there? If so clean the bottom of the fridge and clear the little hole that is there for a condensation drain. Let me know what you find.

Customer: Hi mike, I have removed the bottom drawer of the fridge as you requested, also defrosted the ice from the build up down right hand side and I see no holes!!,
canuck the pro :

Nothing similar to this?

Full Size Image

Customer: Their in drain visible at all, I would no if I saw one as I have had previous freezers like that.
canuck the pro :

Is it all the way at the back?

Customer: Their is no drain visable at all!
canuck the pro :

Strange. Looking in the fridge not the freezer?

Customer: Yes, I have totally emptied the fridge and their are not any holes!
canuck the pro :

How about on the bottom of the back wall?

Customer: I would need some help to pull it out. Will check tomorrow when I have help. Thank you. Will let you know how I progress.
canuck the pro :

Sorry I meant on the inside. Sometimes they have it along the bottom and there is a little track to direct the condensation in.

Customer: Ah yes, as I have removed all of the interior of the fridge one of the shelves has a sliding air vent, now wether it was closed I do not know, but it is open now, I will monitor it hopefully it will do the trick. Thank you
canuck the pro :

Great! How did you go about defrosting? Has it been off for a period of time with the doors open?

Customer: Yes and no!! I will keep my fingers crossed I don't have to get an engineer out.
canuck the pro :

You will not. The issue is either caused by the evaporator has frozen up and the condensate drain being blocked. If you do not get the evaporator completely defrosted then the problem will re-occur soon. You would have to leave the doors open and power off for at least 24 hours then wipe the inside of the fridge and freezer clean. The evaporator freezing up would be caused by a few different things. One would be the condensate drain, another would be items in the freezer blocking the vent and another would be a worn door seal or the door being accidentally left open or not quite closed.

canuck the pro :

No engineer needed. You do those things and all will be well again.

canuck the pro :

The only other issue it could be is a refrigerant leak. If this is the issue the compressor will get really hot and the freezer will no longer cool. This problem is not very good at all. Replacing the refrigerant and fixing the leak are very expensive and must be done by a qualified tech. It almost always is close to the same price as replacing at that point if you can find anyone to fix it at all.

Customer: Thanks for all that. I will take note of all you have said. Thank you once again.
canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. I am glad to help.