Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My admiral fridge freezer is not working. I defrosted the

My admiral fridge freezer is not working. I defrosted the freezer yesterday and then went I went to turn it on, it tripped the circuit breaker. I thought the fridge was working ok, but although the lights are on, it's not keeping anything cold. The fridge is 10 years old. Is it too old to fix?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Is it tripping out every time you plug it in or was it the once?
If it was the once can you hear the compressor running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It trips out every time I turn the freezer section on, and i can hear no compressor unit running with the fridge turned on and the freezer turned off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Just waiting to hear from you, so I know what to do next.

Best

Will

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I did send a reply on saturday but it looks like it didnt go through.

If its tripping out when you turn the freezer on then its either the defrost heater itself or the compressor.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and remvoe the rear panel in the bottom half of the freezer.
From here you will see the evaporator. Wrapped around this is the defrost heater. You will see the wires at the top of the evaporator. Disconnect these and turn the freezer on and see if it runs without tripping. If it does then the defrost heater is the fault and will need to be replaced.

But if its still tripping out with the heater disconnected then its looking like the compressor itself at the back which would need to be replaced.

But check the heater first as i say about 8 times out of 10 its the defrost heater which causes this fault.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel. I will give that a go. Before I begin, any idea how much a defrost heater costs to replace - if it's anywhere near the cost of a new fridge, I might go down that road since my fridge is 10 years old.

Best

Will

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Depending on the model a heater can be between £50-100 and thats just the part only.

But if its the compressor then this isnt worth it as you are looking at about the £300-440 mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel

One end of the defrost heater leads in to a white plastic junction unit with wires leading to the fan and elsewhere. I've unplugged the two halves of the junction unit, and then turned on the fridge and freezer. It hasn't tripped, but apart from the lights, nothing has started working. So I assume that the junction unit needs to be plugged in for the fridge to work, and I assume that it's the defrost heater that's broken. Am I correct, or is something else broken since nothing works at the moment?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok from what you have done this shows the defrost heater is the fault here. If you have pulled the complete plug out then nothing inside the freezer will work.

So what you need to do is get the defrost heater replaced if you wanted to go ahead with the fix and that should cure it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel. Is it definitely the defrost heater, and not the thermostat or timer. I don't want to order the wrong new part?

Will

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes it will be the defrost heater. Thermostats and timers dont cause this kind of fault. Were as defrost heaters do. Ive replaced loads of them for tipping out in the past and no thermostat or timer for this fault.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much Daniel. So I went back downstairs last night and the fridge was working (with the white plastic join unit still unplugged). It's still working this morning, both sections are cold, but I haven't been aware of any noise shutting off - which I assume it should do when it gets to temperature. Am I ok to use the fridge like this, and not replace the defrost heater - I don't mind manually defrosting every so often. Or is there a problem using the fridge like this - e.g. non-stop electricity usage, or burning out other parts.

Update - it does seem to shut off now too, so it seems to be working normally, but I assume I'll have to manually defrost. The freezer section used to leak everyday, so I guess that was the defrost heater not working, and me not defrosting it, and us filling it too much. So if we don't fill it so much, defrost it often, then will it be ok to carry on using it? This should be the last time I bother you - you've been most helpful thank you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Im glad to hear its working now. As to running it with the wires unplugged in there make sure you tape the ends up to stop mositure getting in there.
But if you run it like this with the heater disconnected it will only last for about 2 weeks before it will need to be defrosted. So if your happy to do this then try it and see how it goes.

But just a thought is the fan inside the freezer running. If the fridge is cold then im assuming it is so it sounds like its just the defrost heater and thermal cut out thats disconnected here.

As to bothering me dont worry about that. Thats why im here, you can always get back to me on this even after rating the service i gave so thats fine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel - I've been very impressed and will rate you accordingly. Yes the fan is still working, so I guess you assume right. I'll tape up the ends - just with electrical insulating tape?, and defrost regularly. I might call out a repair person soon though - fortnightly defrosting sounds implausible.

Thanks again for your help.

Best

Will