Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Why does my LG DVD recorder keep saying 'Poor Signal'. I turn

Customer Question

Why does my LG DVD recorder keep saying 'Poor Signal'. I turn off the recorder and the recorder says HELLO then it freezes. Please ca you help The recorder will be 3 years old this coming December.

I have not changed anything.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. First let's try to reset it to remove the error. With the unit ON, press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds until it powers off. Then unplug the cord from the power. Leave it off for about 30 minutes. That should reset and remove the error.

Customer:

If that does not work then it may require a software update.

Customer:

• Ensure Unit is plugged into AC power to receive updates.

Updates are not available during recording, Timeshift and when

viewing digital text or EPG menu.

To set software update options:

a) Display set up menu (see Displaying Set Up Menu)

b) Select network icon at bottom of left panel

c) Select Software Updates from middle panel

d) Select option in right panel:

• Standby mode: Update software when Unit is turned off

• Operation Mode: Update software when Unit is turned on:

i Time: Set time to update software

ii Freq: Select update interval

iii Start: Update software immediately

e) Enter information if required and press OK [ ]

Customer:

Let me know if either of these solves the issue. If not I will be happy to continue to assist or if you have any questions at all certainly ask them also. Mike

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

Hello Mike. I have done exactly as you have advised me. I have switched off the unit and unplugged the cord from the power then left it for 3 hours. I have done everything as you have advised. I now have a 'snowy' screen also instead of the clock it is showing ----. Also in section iii Start; Update software immediately - I have done this and when it has gone through it does say 'No Software' So at the moment it is not working.

Customer:

Do you have it hooked to a ethernet cable?

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

No

Customer:

It will need to be connected to a network to do the update.

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

What cables will I need to do that?

Customer:

Do you have an ethernet cable? Internet?

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

I am sure I have - but I need to go to my garage and find them, if I do find them I obviously have to plug one end into my router, where on the DVD do I plug the other end into or have I got it completely wrong.

Customer:

That is correct. You will see the ethernet connection on the back.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

I will look for it and get it plugged in is there anything else I need to do?

Customer:

It will prompt you for the update. Just follow the direction from that point.

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

Thank you Mike. Once I have found the cable I will get it plugged in. I will get back to you when I have done it.

Customer:

Very good

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

Sorry for the delay. I could not find an ethernet cable in my garage. Went into the nearest town where I live and could not get one. So going out today to an out of town shopping area where I know I will be able to get one. So will get back to you if that is OK to let you know how I get on.

Customer:

No problem

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

I have got the ethernet cable - but cannot plug it into anywhere on my DVD Recorder. Can you advise me what I have to do next. What I have purchased today is exactly as you have shown on your previous note.

Customer:

There is not a way to connect it to the internet?

Customer:

From the information I had it had an ethernet connection.

Customer:

Not on the back?

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

I did a silly thing I did not check to see if the unit could take an ethernet cable. There is no provision on the unit to take an ethernet cable.

Customer:

I am sorry to hear that. How is it supposed to connect to the internet and get updated?

JACUSTOMER-q2tbluk1- :

I have no idea. As I said before there nowhere at all on the unit that I can plug anything into. How did the manufacturers get the software onto the unit in the first place?

Customer:

Will you send me a picture of the connections on the back? So sorry you went through so much trouble to get the cable. The specs I was looking at had an Ethernet connection. I found had suggested you look for the connection first. Totally my fault.

Customer:

I will be in and out for the next 5 hours or so but I'll be online solid after that for about 5 hours. My response may be delayed but I will respond. Use the paper clip icon to load pictures to the page.