Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

*****@******.***. i am an electrical contractor

Customer Question

*****@******.***.
i am an electrical contractor and have a customer who wishes to install a panasonic
air to water heat unit the property involved is a barn conversion on dartmoor in devon
3000 sq feet could you please advise on requirements.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Could you give me more information please, are we talking about a unit using air to heat water or are we talking about a unit that is using water (ie a lake or pond) that is being used to heat the air? Secondly, can you tell me how thick the walls are and if there is any form of insulation within or connected to the walls. Finally what is the lowest temperature that is likely outside the property on the coldest day of the year? ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-w1qknq30- :

aquarea air/water heat pump bio block system or mono block system,thick granite walls well insulated coldest temp -5

Dales-Electronic :

OK do you want it for underfloor/radiator heating only or with the addition of hot water heating? Please qualify -5C on Dartmoor, perhaps more like -15C in winter?

Dales-Electronic :

Could you also advise the number of rooms, and the floor area of each individual room?

JACUSTOMER-w1qknq30- :

Hi Ian the heating system has radiators only , hot water also required as regards ***** ***** sizes i have on excess to

JACUSTOMER-w1qknq30- :

i have no details of room sizes at present but total area 3000 sq feet allow -15 i have seen a video on youtube

JACUSTOMER-w1qknq30- :

which appears to fit the bill with water storage in property

Dales-Electronic :

OK lets have an overview, and kindly understand I am not fully sure what You want or are trying to do. If you want a heat pump system that removes heat from the outside air and converts it into heat to warm the water then you have critical measurements to make that cover the outside ambient temperature, wind factors and insulation properties. You mention in your last para that 'water storage in property' do you mean by this that they want an immersion type tank to store this heated water or that they have an underground source of water from which they wish to take stored heat converting it using the heat pump to heat water for heating/useable hot water for washing etc? From what I have sofar it would seem that the Panasonic MonoBloc Model MDC would suit you needs as it give both heating and cooling, is available on single phase and you can locate the unit outside with only water connections the refrigeration being self contained. All you need is pipe in pipe out and an electric supply. What you have to consider is that during the winter it is more difficult to extract heat from low ambient air than the summer and that wind factors play a massive part in efficiency.