Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an S9LT1S dishwasher, which is intermittently failing

Customer Question

I have an S9LT1S dishwasher, which is intermittently failing to complete its wash cycle. It tends to stop at 43 minutes to go, with the drainage impeller continuously running on an empty sump.
By this time, the dishes are washed, so a reset is all that is needed to complete the job - similarly with a pre-rinse.
I've taken off the left side panel and exposed the microswitches and the float chamber. There's a red float in a dirty chamber - could this be the problem? (Actually, I don't think it can be, because the microswitch which is activated by the float rising hasn't been activated when the cycle has been stalled).
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

OK, Ian - I haven't been able to see your answer - is there something I'm missing?

Dales-Electronic :

Thanks you have saved me an early job ~ with the side off check the top and bottom of the matrix for sludge and also the sump to matrix pipe, this is a grey corrugated pipe about 8" long. If these are all clear it is likely to be the diaphragm switch assembly at the bottom of the matrix ~ usually a good idea to replace both the matrix and switch together. I am assuming at this point that there is no water in the base of the appliance causing the flood protection device to be operated.

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

The matrix looks clear - I'm not familiar with the terminology, but by this I assume you mean the collection of vertically orientated pipes towards the back of the appliance. There's a red activating rod which works the same microswitch as the float-chamber, and this is in the "down" position - raising it causes the impeller to run. The chamber immediately behind this has some blackish deposits.

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

I notice that when I ran a pre-rinse cycle that there were some drops of water emerging from the front part of the assembly.

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

While waiting for you to come back, I remembered that we'd called out an engineer several years ago, and he replaced the diaphragm and float-chamber assembly. I had cleaned the old one and tidied it away in case I ever needed it again.

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

Can you tell me how the flood protection device works - I can't work it out, given the limited view through the side.

Dales-Electronic :

OK you need to look for the sump hose, this is the short corrugated pipe I referred to earlier this has a habit of sludging up and causes the appliance not to be able to sense if it is full or empty of water. You will likely have to take the lower kick strip off usually 4 screw T20 size 2 at either side of the front kick strip and a further two behind the door, if you fully open the door you can see them. Once you have the kick strip off you can see the sump and hose ~ the hose is a a push-fit into both ends so gently pull them out, check inside the pipe, clean out the debris and refit carefully pushing home fully. Refit the front kickstrip and try again, if this doesn't sort out your fault its the switch assembly. Keep me in the loop ~ yrs just popped up again, firstly check out this hose it causes together with the matrix most of the problems ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

OK - can't deal with this now, as have to go out soon. Can I resume contact tomorrow?

Dales-Electronic :

Yes no problems at all ~ I work 8~5 in the domestic appliance trade so anytime after would be good or if I am in the office I can help further ~ enjoy your evening

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

The kick-strip wasn't quite as you described it - just a couple of screws and some wiggling got it off. The grey sump hose had some greasy debris, but wasn't too bad. However, the better view of the base revealed by removing the kick-strip revealed the problem - water in the base was activating the impeller micro-switch. The tray which forms the base of the whole machine has a low circular pond at the bottom front left (when viewed from the kitchen side). This has a float which looks like a thick disc of expanded polystyrene which rises when water gets into the pond, raising a lever which pushes upwards on a red rod which is what works the flood protection system.

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

With a syringe and some tubing, I've drained the pond (of some 500 mL of water), and will observe the next couple of washes to see what happens. As I mentioned earlier, I'd seen a few drops of water leaking from the diaphragm/float-chamber assembly yesterday. This didn't happen when I ran a short rinse cycle today, so fingers crossed!

Dales-Electronic :

Yes that is the flood protection device mentioned earlier, you need to find the leak and once sorted you will be up and running, I usually keep the kick~strip off and run the program checking from time to time with a torch to see if any further leaks have developed.

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

Thanks, ***** ***** mentioned that a few drips of water emerged from the switch unit when I first ran the machine with the side off. Examining to make sure everything was seated properly, I flexed it and heard a distinct click, which I think was one of the components locking into place. Since then I've observed no drips - and I've run several cycles.

JACUSTOMER-ago35it0- :

That unit was replaced three years ago - if it's been leaking a few mL with every wash, I suppose it could build up 500 mL in the base, and eventually activate the flood-protection mechanism. There certainly no sign of a substantial leak into the base since I drained it - I'll put it all together again now, and will know where to start if it happens again.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
As our American buddies would say ~ Good Job, at least you know how to do it the next time around. If you have anymore trouble ping me on here. If you are happy with my service kindly rate me. Have a good weekend ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ffound that there was still a leak from the switch unit, so I put the old one, which I'd cleaned thoroughly, back in. Overflow sump now bone dry, and a lurching effect at beginning of wash cycle has ceased. Quietly confident now...
Excellent ~ you will laugh but we use lemonade to clear the switch assembly, not sure if its the citric acid that sorts out the scale or the bubbles but it works. If I can be of further help give me a bell otherwise if you have not already rated me could you do so and then I can close the job down ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not hard to dismantle the assembly to clean it out. ...and the lemonade tastes better afterwards! Have rated, so can close job now.
Lol ~ touché take care and enjoy your day, thanks for the rating