Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi I have a samsung americsn fridge freezer but the fridge

Customer Question

Hi I have a samsung americsn fridge freezer but the fridge side doesn't seem to be cooling any ideas what the problem could be?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Normally when this happens its a blocked evaporator and fan inside the fridge that causes this.

You have 2 opitions here. Either turn the appliance off for 24 hours and leave the fridge door open and this will melt the ice in there and allow it to work again.

Or empty the fridge and then remove the water bottle (if fitted) from the back wall.
Then undo the screws at the bottom of the back panel were the water bottle sits.
Then remove the plastic vents on the back panel in the bottom of the fridge and remove the screws from there.
Then remove the center bar that runs up the back of the fridge that has the lit in there.
Then you can disconnect the wiring and remove the back panel.

Now use a hairdryer and melt all the ice on the evaporator on the back. Also melt the ice on the fan motor thats in the back panel once its removed.

Then retry it and see how it goes. Fingers crossed its just a one off and it will be fine. But if it happens again then its either the defrost heater at fault or the defrost sensors which you need to test with a multimeter to see if faulty.

So try the above and this will get the fridge going again for you. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok will try these things first and see how it goes thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
No worries, That should sort the fault out but if you do need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so basically defrost the fridge and freezer for 24hrs and fingers crossed that will be it?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Yep, as what happens is the fridge evaporator blocks up with to much ice and stops the air flow and then the fridge goes warm.

So as the freezer is fine this shows the compressor is ok and the fault lays with the fridge evaporator blocked with ice.