Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

having had my Maytag Fridge Freezer charged with Refrigeration

Customer Question

having had my Maytag Fridge Freezer charged with Refrigeration gas, and a new Compressor and the appliance does not reach the required temperature. Could this be the thermostat not working ?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you need to ask for more info, please do. Kindly be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm only here part-time.

What is the model number of your Maytag Fridge Freezer?

JACUSTOMER-2r3ezyoo- :

Model Number XRSS287BB

JACUSTOMER-2r3ezyoo- :

CAN I HAVE AN ANSWER PLEASE GEORGE ?

George-Allsorts :

I am just checking on your model

JACUSTOMER-2r3ezyoo- :

Thank you George i await your reply.

George-Allsorts :

Hi, there are a few things that could cause this on your system... what temperature is it reaching?

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ supporting George here, firstly did the original refrigeration engineer advise you if there was any gas in the system when he diagnosed and replaced the compressor? If there was then likely You do not have a leak which would cause the compressor failure, if however he indicated that the system was empty of refrigerant replacement of the compressor without repairing the leaking pipework would just cause the gas to leak out and give you this non cooling situation. As George has stated earlier, are you getting any cooling at all or is it cooling a little but not enough? Kindly come back to us with Your information and we can take it from there ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There was gas in the system, the Engineer felt there could be a blockage so he re gassed the system. This did not have any effect, so he suggested that the Compressor which was very warm to the touch could be suspect and he then replaced this. The Engineer had to come back as the system was not working,Freezer was not working and the Fridge was not cold enough. So he checked for further blockage and re gassed once more. He said if this does not work then he felt the thermostat was maybe faulty! We have so far spent £550.00 on repairs and are loosing confidence in this project as you can imagine.

Firstly any competent refrigeration engineer would be able to tell you if you had a blockage without charging the system twice. Once he had connected his refrigeration gauges to the system it would show him if it was short of refrigerant, if there was a blockage or if the compressor was faulty. The compressor being hot is usually indicative of a shortage of refrigerant not necessarily that the compressor was faulty. Regarding changing the thermostat ~ to what purpose? If the appliance is not getting cold enough the thermostat would not come into play at all. I would suggest that you go back to this refrigeration company and ask for your money back or certainly some of it as they have taken £550 from you whilst not resolving the problem and likely having replaced components that were functioning correctly. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact. If you are happy with my information kindly rate my service ~ good hunting !! ~ Ian