Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer (model FF40X). At the back

I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer (model FF40X). At the back of the freezer compartment water has been dripping down through the vents and freezing on the bottom of the compartment. Any idea of the cause and any solutions? Many thanks. Graham
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Customer:

Ok Ian - I can wait.

Dales-Electronic :

Hi Graham, This is fairly common on frost free appliances, what is happening is that the drain hole has frozen up and when it does its defrost the water instead of running out of the drain is filling up the drain channel and overflowing into the bottom of the freezer. The easiest way but not always the most convenient is to switch the appliance off for 48 hours leave the doors open and leave towels across the front and allow it defrost naturally. If this is not convenient, beg borrow or steal a wallpaper stripper, remove the end leaving you with just the tank and hose. Connect it up to the electric and switch it on. Switch the appliance off and remove the freezer draws and once you have steam coming out of the steamer get in the back of the freezer and defrost any visible ice build up.

Dales-Electronic :

Now you have to be abit careful, if the freezer has a removable back panel, carefully undo the screws/locking lugs and VERY carefully pull it forward noting the wires behind and using the steamer where necessary. Likely you will find a block of ice covering the evaporator (the aluminium thing with fins) blast the ice off this. Now look for two vent holes, should be one above the evaporator and one below or behind the evaporator. Shove the steamer into both vents and checking in the fridge make sure you have steam coming out. Once you have de-iced the whole thing check that the drain hole is clear. Once all is clear of ice, carefully put it all together and you should be OK. If not come back to me. If it works kindly rate my advice to keep the bosses happy. Take care with the hot steam, don't rush things and Im sure you will be OK ~ Ian

Customer:

We defrosted the freezer at the start of the week and removed all visible ice. After a couple of days the stream of ice had returned. I will try the wallpaper stripper idea once I empty the freezer again. Failing that I will leave the appliance off for a few days. We are lucky enough to have another fridge and freezer.

Dales-Electronic :

With this system, naturally defrosting for 24 hours is not long enough, what is happening is that the ice is not allowing the cold air to circulate correctly and when the system goes into defrost mode it cannot remove all the ice and knock on is that its builds up over a period. This is stage one, if this still doesn't sort out the problems then we have a defrost heater fault or the doors don't fit correctly. However, lets try the cheap option first ~ Ian

Customer:

Hi Ian. I carried out your recommendation then left the appliance to dry naturally. Switched it on Monday evening and all went well. Re-stocked the fridge freezer after a few hours of super cooling. Checked the bottom of the freezer compartment this evening and all is well! Thank you for your information. It gave me confidence to have a go and has saved me a lot of money. I have left positive feedback. Very much deserved and very much appreciated.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.