Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

I have a ten year old Ideal C24/28 combi boiler, which was

I have a ten year old Ideal C24/28 combi boiler, which was serviced three months ago. It has become a hit and miss affair in the last few days in that, it fires up on time in the morning, but shuts down after half an hour or so, then comes back to life again, times varying from one to four hours. Can you give me some guidance. I can't afford a new boiler, 'pension won't allow it'. Please give me some hope. Yours sincerely ***** ***** McKean.

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
***** ***** : Do you think the boiler is running as it normally used to but is not keeping temperature?
Customer:

When the boiler is working, it as normal then shuts off for various times, no heat and sometimes no hot water.

***** ***** : I take it you have a clock and a motorised valve controlling this?
Customer:

I presume so, via the digital timer. There is no seperate thermostat other than the boiler, the hall radiator cannot be shut off.

***** ***** : No cylinder?
***** ***** : Ok then the room stat tells the boiler to fire and then the boiler runds on its own stat until the room stat turns the boiler off
***** ***** : Is it a standard room thermostat or RF one?
Customer:

There is NO room thermostst anywhere in the house, the only thermoststs are in the boiler or on all but one radiarors.

***** ***** : Ok, when you turn the heating on tell me what happens - noises clicks, etc
***** ***** : I take it your hot water is ok?
Customer:

When I switch onthe circulating pump starts, I think the gas valve opens, but there is no spark to ignite the gas. the domestic hot water is intermittent, even when the heating is off.

***** ***** : Does the fan start on the boiler, if you v=cannot hear it then try outside where the flue comes out, it will not even try and light until the fan is running
Customer:

I have just tried the manual start, this time the boiler has fired and everythin

Customer:

When I switch on the circulating pump starts, I think the gas valve opens, but there is no spark to ignite the gas. the domestic hot water is intermittent, even when the heating is off.

***** ***** : I think we are at the point where you need to be able to get to the wiring centre and test for power with a multimeter
***** ***** : It is pointing to a fault with one of your valve but until we can involve amultimeter it will be difficult to diagnose
Customer:

I have just tried the manual start up, the boiler has fired and the heating is on, but for how long I don't know, this is the problem.

***** ***** : The valves need checking out, if the relay inside it is starting to fail, you need to either fault find electrically or call someone to check this out
Customer:

I called my heating engineer last Friday afternoon and left a message on the answer phone, have not heard from him yet, after reading your last post, I am wondering if perhaps there is a dry joint, which is making a connection when said joint is cold, and then breaks the connection when hot. Does this seem a possible answer to the problem?

***** ***** : Yes, but more likely to be a sticking relay in one of the motorised valve heads, a simple swap once you know which one
Customer:

Okay, perhaps the engineer will return my call in the morning, thanks for your advise, we will have to rely on fan heater to suffice until then.

Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Gas cooker specialist