George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint HUE61X

I have a Hotpoint HUE61X model Fan Oven. On reaching temperature the Main Oven thermostat seems to cut the power and the cooker then cools down again but does not then call for power but instead just continues to cool. What spare part do i need to replace? I am a trained engineer and am happy to go into the oven to change parts
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you need to ask for more info, please do. Kindly be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm only here part-time.

This sort or problem is usually caused by one of two things, the usual cause, a faulty selector switch, secondarily a faulty thermostat, and lastly but more rarely a fault at the terminal block.

JACUSTOMER-6ob9sukj- :

What checks would I need to do to dstinguish between a faulty selector switch and a faulty thermostat? I have electrical test tools such as a continuity meter and am handy with tools and not afraid to enter the bowels of the cooker!

George-Allsorts :

Do you own an insulation tester?

JACUSTOMER-6ob9sukj- :

No but I can borrow one from the factory where I work. I guess this is what I would call a Megger?!

George-Allsorts :

yes... One moment, duty calls .. I'll be back as quick as I can

George-Allsorts :

sorry, I'm back

George-Allsorts :

It is called a megger... Put the neutral/negative on the earth to the thermostat and the other on the terminals to see if there is an earth leak especially when you operate the knob

George-Allsorts :

Also, you can use a multimeter on both terminals then warm the phial of the thermostat with a flame... you will see it click in and out again

George-Allsorts :

This is the most likely part that is causing your problem

George-Allsorts :

also check that the terminals where the thermostat fits to the selector switch are not loose or warn

JACUSTOMER-6ob9sukj- :

OK- I'll bring the Megger home tomoroow and give it a try. I suspect the thermostat. One thing that may help you be more definite: Let's say that I set the Main Iven temperature to 100degC. Once it acjieves this temperature, the power cuts out to the oven and the temperature begins to fall. The power is not cutting back in. However, if I now increase the thermostat setting to say 150degC once again the power comes on - until it hits 1500degC when power is lost again. Does this help?

George-Allsorts :

Definitively, this is the thermostat... the thermostat on these models work on a 20% tolerance... !00 degs would mean that the thermostat shopuld click in again at no less than 80 degs

JACUSTOMER-6ob9sukj- :

Many thanks I hope to be in touch to confirm the cause this time tomorrow.

Good morning Alan, I will await your call or text.. Don't put any personal information here.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Hi Alan, I have managed to get the question unlocked again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George,

I am happy with the £11 response that I have had from you over the last couple of days. What I do not understand is why I received a notificiation that a further £26 had been taken from my credit card. Is this anything to do with you? I seem to recall seeing a screen that offerred to buy the part for me but I do not remember agreeing to move forward with the purchase.

Hi alan, this is my fault... I did offer you an 'Additional Service', but when I typed it I type $35 instead of $5... when I had seen what had happened and that you had accepted the request I contacted customer services by Report and asked them to refund you the overcharged $30... They locked the thread and I then had no way to contact you to let you know what had happened.

The 'Additional Service' was to allow you to get my telephone number by which you would be able to contact me if you wanted to order the part at a much cheaper cost than is available online...

My apologies for the series of errors... I asume customer service have refunded your credit card with the overcharge? If this is not the case then please contact them.

How did you get on testing the thermostat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George,

Thanks for the explanation. I will get in touch with Customer Service to clear up the mess in due course. Are you UK based? Your latest response quoted $ not £. What price would you charge, including delivery for the Main oven thermostat based on a leisurely delivery?

Yes, I am in the UK, but everything on JA is in US dollars...

The part number you need is C00255842 and it is online at around £35

I can get it for you inc. delivery for £28

Having said this.. you could ring hotpoint and tell them that you can get it inc. del for £28 to see if they will try better it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George, thanks for the price. I'll put this query to bed now and give you a rating. If I want to take you up on your offer then I'll give you a call in the future.

OK Alan, I am glad I got to help you...

Again, please accept my apologies for the foul-up... It was my fault.. If I hadn't made the typing error then there would have been no problems... I hope you understand and don't let it stop you from using JA again in the future...

My kindest regards