George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Hello all, I have a Neff dishwasher approx 7yrs S54M45X1GB/10....When

Hello all, I have a Neff dishwasher approx 7yrs S54M45X1GB/10....When I turn it on it starts to fill but tthen very quickley it drains it just continues this action and does not move any further, a little tap signaling no water appears on the display panel.
I have taken off both sides of machine plastic fill tank on left side looks clear however dislodged two pipes nearer the front and drained them they seemed quite clear. I then checked the ( what I think is called the aquastop) under the sink it seems fine a little bit of scale at entry but nothing major, but if there was anything wrong with this I don't think I could identify it as I'm not sure what to look for and besides its all encased in a plastic resin.
I have not been able to take front or back bottom panels off, there is one plastic screw in the middle of front it turns but nothing happens.
One other thing I have put water into base to check flood sensor and this appeared to work as no water came in when switched on, I have since drained and dryed and now back to square one.
Can anyone please please help with this problem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also so sorry for the lenghty introduction.
Janice
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Janice,
This is caused by a stuck or failed float or more likely a leak.
what you will find is the machine will have leaked water in the base so the antiflood switch has been activated.
What you need to do is pull the dishwasher out and tip it backwards. This will allow the water to drain out from the base.
Or take off the inspection cover on the front at the bottom under the door. Then from there use a sponge and soak the water up from the base.
Once the water is out the anti flood switch will reset itself and will start to work again.
Then just keep an eye on it and see how it goes. If it does it again then you have a leak in there which you will need to find and fix to cure the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Michael for your reply as I explained in my intro, I have checked the flood system ie the base of machine was initially dry but to double check I poured water into base, I then switched on the machine and it did'nt even fill with any amount of water as had done initially, I then emptied and dried, now back to where I started ie machine starts to fill approx 3mins then empties it does not start the cycle.

Also I cannot find a way to remove the inspection cover off the bottom front it looks like it should clip off but plastic screw in centre does not come out, do you think I need to turn machine onto its back? Am reluctant to do this as Im afraid I'll break something inside also not very strong.

Janice

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Janice,
did the unit leak outside the machine at all?
Also were there any power cuts or storms in the area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, no leakage that I can see and yes there was a storm last week but just windy.. no power cuts.

Can you give any advice on how to remove bottom front panel.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Janice, thanks for all the useful information.
The problem you have is not with the main control board in the door.
It will need to be replaced.
The reason I say this is that the unit will fill and drain abnormally while running the program. But when you fill the bottom with water it can tell thats normal. But wont run the program.
I have seen this many times, usually with the Neffs it will be the anti flood device but unfortunately not on this one.
Its super easy to replace I will assist you when you have the part at no additional cost;-)
The best place to get that is Espares Phone:0844 9777 888.
All you need is the model # ***** you call, they are reliable and usually ship the same day!
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don't forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you Janice and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael, I assume you mean the problem is with the main control board in the door rather than is not like you actually said? Otherwise why would it need to be replaced.

Rather than jumping to conclusions and spending money unnecessarily I would like to explore the pipe work, the sump, anything else that would cause a blockage, and any other valves I.e. the inlet valve (is this the valve in the aquastop under the sink?)

In order to do any of this I need to know how to get the bottom inspection panel off. Do you know how to do this?

Janice

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Janice there is no blockages as the unit drains fine. I have been an appliance tech for over 35 years so I am sure of my diagnosis;-)
When you say the inspection panel what exactly are you talking about, the front kick plate?
Please be specific.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael, of course I value your opinion, but there may be another cause. The PCB as its called is not available at espares or any other spares co. It has to come through Neff supliers at a cost of £198.00.

I cannot pay this out without exploring every other avenue first.

Yes the front kick plate is what Im trying to remove. Do you know how to remove this?

Thank you for your considered opinion.

Janice

Janice

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Janice there should be screw that hold that on.
Also there is one more thing you can try.
Pull the dishwasher out then tip it forward about 45 degrees and hold it that way for a minute then set it back down. See if that makes any different when you run the unit.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you will do.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
:-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael, I think I Have solved the problem...I overrode the float inside the machine by placing a weight on top of it, as soon as it reached the door it poured out.

So obviously the bottom door seal has gone. I think this means that water does not have to leak into the base of machine in order for the flood system to kick in. It must activate before anything actually leaks out, because on all ocasions machine was bone dry.

I have ordered new seals so fingers crossed. If this is not the problem it will be a new machine, as PCB is not worth it in relation to age of machine.

Just a note for your info, in order to remove the front kick plate on this machine I had to flip it onto its back (having taken both side panels off)

it unhooks from the bottom, the plastic screw in the centre just loosens a bit like the screws that Ikea uses.

Thank you very much for your help with this. I will let you know the outcome.

So sorry my correspondence is so long winded.

Janice

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

The large nut in the front of the inspection panel is to adjust the rear legs os the appliance.

By overriding the float you have prevented the system from controlling its own functions... Dishwashers are built to control the level that they fill to...

the bottom door seal is generally there to control the water that runs off the door and not to control water emptying from the machine because the machine has been tipped to an angle that will cause it to spill... The door seals are acting as they should, otherwise water would have previously been spilling out.

I am not infront of your machine so cannot tell you what is the fault with it, but many things control the functions that would cause similar symptoms as you have, Pressure chamber being a likely one, but I suggest you get the system checked out by an engineer rather than sending good money after bad.. Find An Engineer

regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi George, thank you very much for your reply, I'm sorry if Michael has become exasperated with me. He has been very patient.

Yes of course that makes complete sense (I'm a numskull !!)

I am trying to take off the PCB to see if anything is obviously blown hopefully I might find something that just needs a bit of solder.

Removing the plugs was fine, but having problems opening/removing white box in order to get to board.

Do you have any advice for this?

Also is the pressure chamber the big translucent tank type of thing where water comes in and out ?

Or is it the cylindrical tub with what looks like a blue plastic lid?

My machine is neff S54M45X1GB/10

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Janice

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have been waiting too long for a reply
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 3 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - lets start again because if you are not careful you will end up throwing a lot of money at the problem only to find that the parts that You are replacing are not faulty. Since you have it in bits, on the left hand side from the front you have the opaque water distribution system which connects to various pipes, from what you have said this is clear. At the lower right of this you will see a corrugated pipe that feeds into the sump, its a push fit at both ends, have you checked that for debris? Also the sump to this hose must also be checked with a bottle brush to ensure you don't have a blockage there. Now the Aquastop, this is a pipe that senses if there is a leak and once a leak is spotted shuts off the supply. This is available as a spare part. Finally having discounted blockages, aquastop problems we can talk about the pcb ~ this is still available under part number 615494 but rather than going to ESpares, try one of the other vendors, either Masterpart or Qualtex who will be able to source it for you. What you must take into consideration is that You have a seven year old appliance, spares are disappearing and as they do so the price goes up, at some point you would perhaps be better off cutting your loses and replacing the appliance.
Sorry, I have been away for the day... A pressure chamber, if it has one, will look similar to this:
graphic

However, as I said, I am not infront of your machine so cannot tell you what is causing fault as I cannot test it. There are many things controlling the the functions that would cause similar symptoms alike to the one you have. And' from my personal experience of these appliances I would certainly be discounting the PCB as the cause of this fault... It is more likely to be a fault that you cannot test for without specialist equipment that us engineers carry.

I suggest you get the system checked out by an engineer rather.. Find An Engineer

regards
George
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi George, did you get my message that I fixed my machine and how?

My reply seems to have disappeared.

Janice

Hi Janice, I didn't... Can you re-itterate please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi George, sorry for lateness have been out all day.

I have fixed my machine, it was the flow rate sensor, 'Impellor Jug' I think is the correct term.

Anyhow took it out (yet again!) Ran water through it, putting the little socket back in ( I put it in and out a couple of times, I got that tip from the whitegoods forum,) I noticed that one of the little wires was a bit looser than the other, so I put a little bit of heat glue to secure it.

And hey presto machine worked, happy days.

I feel I have been on a journey through this machine and then to end with it been something so simple, but very satisfying to know it wasn't all in vain

Thank you again for your imput and knowledge.

Janice

The journey taken depends on the advice given.. I am glad you have solved the problem.. Well done
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Agreed!!!

Thank you and Good bye.

Janice