Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We have a Lec L061W larder fridge. It has once again started

We have a Lec L061W larder fridge. It has once again started to regularly ice up on the interior back wall of the fridge. The last time we had it repaired my wife was told by the repairer that it was the thermostat at fault and his repair was successful. This appears to be a Ranco K59-P6831 from online searches and I should be competent enough to fit it myself. I can locate vendors of Ranco K59 thermostats.
1 - Firstly, do you agree with the technician's diagnosis?
2 - Will any Ranco K59 thermostat (P6831 or otherwise) be correct to use?
3 - Are there any other replacement thermostats that are correct to use?
Thank you in anticipation.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK just to clarify, could you tell me how long ago the thermostat was changed?

Customer:

Not sure. Possibly about 2 years.

Dales-Electronic :

OK just a quick check on something for me ~ if you touch the motor on the back is it hot or just warm and which refrigerant is the product using R600a or R134a this will be listed on a label on the motor (compressor)

Customer:

Just going to check...

Customer:

Quite hot (have just de-iced it and turned it back on). R134a.

Dales-Electronic :

OK ~ I would use a Ranco VX0 thermostat which is a universal replacement ~ the connections are the same as that fitted to your unit but you may have to coil up the sensing wire (called a capillary tube) if it is too long and keep it out of the way. Other than this its a direct replacement ~ Ian

Customer:

Thanks. I can go for that. What is the answer to 2 (would any (possibly cheaper) K59 do?)?

Dales-Electronic :

This is the cheaper option, should cost you about £10 for the thermostat, if you get stuck we can supply it ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Before You change the thermostat, just check that the door seals are intact and that the fridge is able to get down to anywhere between +2~+5C the fault can be indicative of a shortage of refrigerant, a faulty door seal or thermostat - Ian. If you need further advice please feel free to give me a call on here if however you are happy with the information kindly rate my service. Thank You

Customer:

Ok. I think I've just learned an apparent difference between VT9 and VX0, both of which could be K59 type. If so then I've just answered my question 2. VX0 is for larder fridges apparently with a defrost on each cycle.

Customer:

You are right about the door seals. I need a top hinge as well!

Customer:

Thanks for the advice.