Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Our telephone keeps showing: Base no power. I have followed

Customer Question

Our telephone keeps showing: Base no power. I have followed the manual instructions including removing batteries and waiting an hour to recharge, but after several. Attempts to re register the set KX-TG6821 am still getting Base no power. What next?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

The first thing that I would do is check that the AC adapter is actually supplying the required voltage ~ this should be written on the adapter likely between the pins of the plug. Obviously if no power is going into the base unit it wont be charging the batteries ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

This should be around 6 volts DC output ~ 220-249 volts AC input

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

The adapters have not been changed and are the ones we have had since the phones were first installed a year ago. The phones were both OK till recently, then one stopped working, and now the other.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I understand this but if you don't check that the AC adapters are working we don't know if there is any power going to the base station, without the base station working the handset wont connect

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

How can I tell whether they are working or not?

Dales-Electronic :

You will need to test the output of the AC adapter with a multimeter or get someone to test it for you

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

I do not have a multimeter, but the handset says "charging" Would it say that if the adapter was not working?

Dales-Electronic :

OK I think this may help ~ are the batteries in the base station rechargeable aaa or aa batteries?

Dales-Electronic :

Looks like 3 x aaa batteries just check and confirm please

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

I've been waiting over 40 minutes for an answer to my last. Question.

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

I

Dales-Electronic :

You haven't answered my earlier question about the batteries?

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

The phone picks up answering machine messages but that is all. We have rechargeable batteries as we should.

Dales-Electronic :

OK take out the rechargeable batteries and put in a set of normal dry batteries and tell me if the handset works now?

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

Just hunting out some ordinary batteries.

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

Normal batteries now in both handsets

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

Re registeringRe registering

Dales-Electronic :

OK What Im trying to do here is establish if the handset is the problem ie if the rechargeables are duff or if its the base station not easy when you don't have any test equipment ~ OK try and link the handset to the base station ~ see how that goes

Dales-Electronic :

I am sorry you didn't want to finish off the diagnosis of your problem however I would be grateful if you would explain why you felt that we gave you bad service when in fact you didn't allow us to resolve the issue. It is difficult to fault find without the necessary electrical test equipment and is a case of finding out what is not faulty which subsequently leaves only the faulty item. In this case it could have been one of three things, base station, AC adapter or handset. If we can be of further service feel free to contact us again.

JACUSTOMER-j02190lb- :

We were exhausted with waiting for an answer to the question whether the adapter could be faulty if it said "charging". I waited from 8.40 to 9.20 and nothing showed up on the screen. then you said I had not answered your question about the batteries, but this message had not shown up on the screen at all. I did try putting in normal batteries, but the handset screen simply said "use rechargeable batteries". We were no nearer to a solution than we had been for the last three days, so this morning I took the phones to Maplins and they confirmed that the phones were faulty (allowing incoming messages, but denying outgoing ones). We were able at once to make a decision to buy new phones. These are now installed and working perfectly. I am sorry we could not wait for further suggestions last night but we are both old and very tired; and my wife needs to be in bed and asleep by 9.00pm. Had you been able to tell us more quickly that the phones themselves were faulty we should have been satisified, but after two hours of frustration we could not endure any more.

Dales-Electronic :

Thanks you for your response I am pleased to hear you got the matter resolved