George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Siemens SE26T550GB/25 dishwasher small leak from pressure chamber

Siemens SE26T550GB/25 dishwasher small leak from pressure chamber when filling unit.
Further leak observed in the same corner of the machine further into cycle.
Machine fills and heats OK but sticks with "1 min" remaining at the end of programme, produces a hum but does nothing.
Can I remove and replace / clean pressure chamber myself?
Difficult to see ongoing connections from chamber due to bottom front black panel, can't remove it or right side panel.
Also concerned at discolouration in top left hand water storage cylinder.
Photos attached.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** you need to ask for more info, please do. Kindly be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm only here part-time.

Have you observed the rotors rotating during the wash cycle?

Does the appliance empty ok?

Customer:

Hello George,

Customer:

I've opened the door on the wash cycle a few times to see what was happening. I didn't have any of the shelves in and wasn't checking the rotors specifically so can't be sure. I'll run another cycle to check if it's OK to run with left side panel off?

George-Allsorts :

It is ok to run the appliance with the side panel off

Please check the appliance drains properly

Please also check that the wash motor operates and that the rotors rotate

Customer:

I just tried to run the quick wash programme. The machine hummed but didn't do anything. I reset then powered off and on and chose the rinse programme (far right). The drain pump activated and then a moment later the inlet valve opened. The column filled with water fine and it eventually filled the u-bend like section before running down to the pressure chamber. When it hit the pressure chamber a small amount of water spilled out of the interface between the two, this must have been happening for some time as there is considerable lime scale on the outside of the chamber. Water then ran into the main compartment. And a rotating washing sound commenced. I opened the door carefully and can see the base rotor spinning with fountains of water coming out. The top rotor was not spinning.

George-Allsorts :

OK, take off the upper rotor and check it for blockages...

George-Allsorts :

Can you put the system on a hot wash as we need to test the heater and thermistor... unless you have a multimeter for testing these?

Customer:

Had another look later and it seems that during the rinse the top and bottom rotors the work alternately? There's a quieter phase to the wash and when I open the door then I can catch the top rotor slowing down.

Customer:

I don't have a multimeter to hand I'm afraid but I can run a hot wash, shall I interrupt the rinse and reset or wait till it finishes? I also assume that the heating elements are behind the right side panel? I've been having a hard time removing this even after I've removed all six screws I've found in it.

George-Allsorts :

Yes, interrupt it.. It is likely that you will find that the wash doesn't heat.. If this is the case, this is what the 1 minute at the end of the program will mean.. it will mean that the system has not sensed a temperature raise within ten minutes of the heating cycle

Customer:

Currently 5 minutes into the 45 quick wash cycleStSteam leaves the machine when I open, water at the bottom doesn't feel particularly warm though.

Customer:

8 minutes in I'd say that the water in the base is probably around 45 degrees

George-Allsorts :

Mmmmm!!.. The 1 min at the end means that the appliance has detected an anomaly... I can't see that it is the slight leak in the pressure chamber, although we know it needs changing.. I have never successfully cleaned/serviced a pressure chamber.. the replacement is 00480748 and is easy to replace

George-Allsorts :

I would say that the heater is working then .. no need to continue with that test if you don't want to

Customer:

OK, is there a supplier you'd recommend for that? At some point during the empty and then refill in the cycle a small puddle emerged around the front left leg, I can't determine it's origin but the sump inside appears dry.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. you need to get that front panel off ... Is it integrated or standalone?

Customer:

Machine now appears to be idling with either one of the motors on. There are 11 minutes left on the cycle. I don't think the flood switch has been activated as it's all the way down.

George-Allsorts :

That could be the drying stage

Customer:

It's standalone but I can't remove the right panel which seems to be necessary to get the small front panel off?

George-Allsorts :

why can't you remove it?

Customer:

I've removed the two front screws, the one at the front base holding the stainless facia on and the one at the back at the bottom. At this point the left panel came off fairly easily, the right one seems caught along its top edge

George-Allsorts :

Chamber is available from Siemens.co.uk at around £23

Customer:

I've managed to pull the right panel off

George-Allsorts :

good... You'll see a tube going from the pump to the chamber.. check that tube is no blocked

Customer:

Whilst I was removing the panel the machine was still running, making a noise but not doing anything, it's run the timer down to 1 now and is still making the same noise. I think this is the 1 minute hum I experienced before.

George-Allsorts :

check that corregated tube for me please

Customer:

I've removed a black plastic from section which has the front feet integrated. Behind that is the white plastic base section which is moulded all the way round. There's a steel plate on the front of it that looks like it's part of the section making up the hinge

George-Allsorts :

Does the front steel peice have screws in the corners?

Customer:

Yes I've removed the screws and the plate has dropped down, I'm having trouble releasing the wiring loom up into the door from it

George-Allsorts :

Ignore the loom for now... look to the left.. you should see a see-through tube going from the pump to the pressure tube

George-Allsorts :

that pipe can cause that error if it is partially blocked... as can the drain pump/hose

Customer:

I've pulled the tube out, it is very much full of "stuff" much worse at the pump end. The pump I let itself is very clean, the pipe is being cleaned now

George-Allsorts :

that'll be your 1 min

Customer:

So the pump I've just been dealing with it the circulation pump or drain?

George-Allsorts :

I'm going offline no you are ok

George-Allsorts :

circulation

George-Allsorts :

i moment

Customer:

OK George thanks. I'll get that part ordered. Would you be OK to helpme fit it?

George-Allsorts :

yes.. clean the tube and test the pressure chamber before ordering one.. the blockage may have been causing the leak

Customer:

Fantastic, I'll soak overnight and reassemble tomorrow after work. I assume this chat can remain open till then?

George-Allsorts :

would imagine so.. but I just sent you an additional services request which if accepted will allow you to get my telephone number

George-Allsorts :

2hrs so far

Customer:

Hello George, a couple of things.

Customer:

how does the pricing for your service work? I'm very happy with the help you've provided so far but would hate to find out I've run up a massive bill by talking to you?

George-Allsorts :

not got a clue... they would tell you before charging you.. and they would tell you how much if they did

George-Allsorts :

what makes you ask?

Customer:

Great, that's fine with me. Secondly, I'm removing the top in preparation to replace the pressure chamber and hopefully the reservoir pack on the left side since I've noticed a build up of gunk in the top left section. I'm having trouble removing the black plastic corner sections on the top at the back, I can't spot the release mechanism for them, any ideas?

George-Allsorts :

can you post a pic as I cant think what bit you mean

Customer:

The thing that made me wonder about cost was the comment you made last night "2 hrs so far" as if there may be an hourly rate. I now see you were referring to the amount of time that this chat had already remained open.

George-Allsorts :

Gosh no.. I was noticing the time to talk you through the job

George-Allsorts :

I do like to get a satified customer.. I hope you write an email to JA and tell them

Customer:

I'm trying to attach an image without much success

George-Allsorts :

Problem?

Customer:

Probably the fact that I'm using an Android tablet and not a laptop

George-Allsorts :

lol

Customer:

Pressure Chamber
Full Size Image

Customer:

Plastic corner bracket and gunk
Full Size Image

Customer:

The second image shows the bracket that I can't remove which is holding the reservoir in place.

Customer:

It also shows the collection of gunk at the top of the stack that is making me think it's worth replacing too

Customer:

Sorry George, I have to go now.

Customer:

Could you please advise on how to remove the plastic bracket, whether it's worth replacing the reservoir section, and if so the part number for it please. Thanks so much.

Customer:

Have a good evening, speak later.

George-Allsorts :

I am still wating for the images to download

George-Allsorts :

First image has downloaded... yep.. that is minging.. no wonder it is leaking.. I would change that

George-Allsorts :

Tank looks normal.. black discolouration is normal

George-Allsorts :

Those black brackets usually have one screw in the back of them and then they tilt upward away from the hook at the top

George-Allsorts :

I notice you have not rated my service to you yet

George-Allsorts :

Have you cleaned the Pressure Chamber for testing before buying a new one?

Customer:

Hello George. I was concerned that rating your service would end the 'chat' session and therefore end the support that you're supplying me? If it doesn't then I'll happily rate it as Excellent now.

Customer:

I haven't removed and cleaned the existing pressure chamber yet. I ran a test cycle yesterday with the cleaned pipe between Chamber and Pump replaced. There was quite a lot of leaking during the initial fill which I think activated the flood valve. I ended up with the same '1 minute' situation at the end, I'm not totally sure that the drain pump was on as the flood switch would indicate?

Customer:

I think I will remove and attempt to clean the pressure chamber and assess it for condition. If it looks OK then I'll replace and test. If there are still issues then I'll order in the spare.

George-Allsorts :

Rating my help to you does not end the access to chatting, but does help me know where I am going with helping you further

Customer:

I just attempted to rate using the 'smiley' face buttons below, another button then appears asking me to submit my rating. A pop-up window then opens telling me that if I rate the service it will close the chat.

George-Allsorts :

It closes the chat and sends you to Q&A.. are you always on the phone or are you on a laptop/computer too?

George-Allsorts :

It means then you have a capability to chat using the same link

George-Allsorts :

How did you get on?

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help