canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Bosch WFL2450 does not spin. I have replaced the brushes but

Bosch WFL2450 does not spin. I have replaced the brushes but still does not spin.
any advice would be welcome
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. When it does not spin, is the door locking?

canuck the pro :

Is there any error code?

Customer: Hi mike yes the door locks.
Customer: There is no error code.
canuck the pro :

Do you hear clicking when it is not spinning?

canuck the pro :

Is the problem intermittent or does it never spin?

Customer: The model number is ***** 2450 UK/12
Customer: yes it clicks during the cycle but never spins
canuck the pro :

Does the clicking seem to come from the door lock?

Customer:

No. It is the normal clicking sound as it goes through the cycle

canuck the pro :

Do you have the same result when the setting is spin only?

Customer:

Yes I have it on spin only at the moment to get the feed back your requesting.

canuck the pro :

Ok still testing then? If you close the door more firmly then usual that would also help determine the issue. I strongly suspect the door latch is not engaging completely since there is not an error code.

canuck the pro :

The door should automatically lock for the spin cycle and the latch may be locking the door but the contact may not be telling the door it is latched.

canuck the pro :

Try activating the door lock manually with a thin screwdriver.

Check the door latch pin on the door is being moved fully over and held strongly by the spring inside the door.

If activating the lock manually works, hold back the latch pin and trim a little bit of plastic off the inner door where the pin normally rests. This will allow it to move the lock a little more.

Customer:

I will try that but the model does not have a screen to show an error code. The door appears to be properly closed. I have also tried it on a normal cycle. It fills, drains etc but the drum does not spin at all. It doesn't even agitate during the wash cycle. The door unlocks at the end of the cycle with it's usual click.

canuck the pro :

The most likely issues so far would either be the latch not contacting properly or the control board. Check out the latch and if it certainly seems to not be that then check the connectors on the control board. Sometimes the vibration of the machine will cause a loose connector to become disconnected. Also look for any scorch marks on the back of the board. Disconnect and reconnect all of the control board connectors one at a time. Of course unplug the appliance when checking this out. Let me know how that goes. It really should be one of those things considering the brushes have been changed. The error codes displayed by the older models would be a series of blinking lights. If you see any of that count how many times the light blinks.

Customer:

Ok I will give that a go and come back to you. The lights are all as normal with no blinking. It's completely as normal but no rotation of the drum. Presumably the front panel is removed fairly easily.

canuck the pro :

Yes, I remember it is really easy to access. It was so simple that I do not remember how it disconnected. I think there are two screws on the back that hold the top on then slide to top back to expose the screws holding the panel. I will see what information I can find but I am pretty sure it is something like I described.

Customer:

Checked the door lock and it is fine.

Customer:

Checked the connectors and the one on the motor itself was not located properly - I expect as a result of not pushing it in hard enough after replacing the brushes.

Customer:

All is well and it spins beautifully!

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance!

canuck the pro :

Great! I figured it had to be a loose connection somewhere! You are very welcome. I love it when a plan comes together!